S&W 36 square butt j/frame problem

dabigguns357

My dad and i were talking on the phone tonight and he asked me where he could find a pair of model 36 square but grips,his had cracked and were getting uncomfortable to shoot at his age(87).

I have checked S&W but man that site is really hard to navigate and i looked through some other sites, nothing but round butt grips.I did some more checking to see if he was mistaken but they did make a square but version.

I want to get him a set for Christmas and i know this will sound kinda odd but do they make something with grips,or Hogue.something he can handle better.

I just need some info or websites to guide me.

bob.a

I just took a look at gunbroker. Typed in S&W square butt grips j frame and got about 1300 hits.

They have factory style, crimson trace lasers, Pachmayr rubber, pretty much anything you want. I have to say that the 1300 hits were not limited to j frame grips, but it's not too hard to sift thru and find what you want.

Merry Christmas.

celtgun

J-Frame Grip Choice

The CDNN would really look good, but a Houge or Pachmeyer(Top grade stuff)might more what your Dad needs. As long as he has an average or bigger hand the rubber grips are easier on anybodys hands and give good control.
Go for a grip that covers the backstrap, really helps. The rubber does "print" clothes when worn conceled.
The answer, buy both, its Christmas and he's your Dad.

Pray and Shoot Daily.
Lee Jones(Celtgun)

"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." - Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796

aarondhgraham

I have a square and a round butt J Frames,,,

Pachmayer "Gripper" grips were the answer for me.

They make a round butt and a square butt version of these grips,,,
After you mount them on the guns the grips are identical.

This makes my .22 Model 34 perfect practice for my .38 Model 36.

VelmaVeldaPach.jpg

RGPM1A

Be careful with some of the Pachmayr grips or any after market grips on a J frame. Some types interfere with the use of a speed loader due to the thickness and bevel design of the left grip panel. I found this out a a pocket pistol action match I shot recently for giggles with my model 36 no dash with Packmayr rubber grips. I have had the gun and the HKS speed loaders for 30 years but never tried a reload with one on this gun before. Nice thing to find out after all these years.

dabigguns357

i went ahead and ordered a set of pachmayers.As soon as they get here i'll go and put them on his gun,it's the least i can do.

He doesn't carry it much but loves to stand out back of his house and shoot it.I swear one day he will call me and tell me he broke the gun,heck i bet he has put 20,000 rounds through that little gun.

Btw he calls it his pocket pal.