S&W 357

Pestman

I need help decideing on my first revolver. I know I want an s&w 357 model 686. Is there a big difference between 4 inch or 6 inch barrel? Should I get it in 6 or 7 round capacity? What other options should I look for on this gun?? Thanks. I always get good input on this board!!

roaddog28

Welcome!

I have a 686-3 4 inch six shot. I like 4 inch revolvers. All of my revolvers are 4 inch. The reasons are better for home defense and better to carry. The six inch barrels are recommended for target and hunting. I just prefer the 4 inch. The seven shot revolvers are nice but I personally would not want to spend the extra money to get one round. I am very fond of pre-lock Smith and Wessons. I only have one newer Smith with the mim parts and internal lock with firing pin in frame. Its a good revolver but it does not have the smooth double action trigger as does my older Smiths. I even have a old Ruger Police Service Six that has a better double action trigger that my newer Smith.

My advice is to try and rent a 686 in both barrel lengths and see how they shoot for your own needs. You might decide that you want a different revolver for whatever the reason is.

Good luck, and let us know what you get.

roaddog28
686-3wood.jpg

pmeisel

I have a 4" Python and a 6" S&W model 19. I prefer the 19 for hunting and longer range target shooting (beyond 25 yards). I prefer the Python for shorter range work and general utility.

The main difference you will find is that the longer sight radius is very nice for accuracy at longer distances, but 6" is noticeably longer, particularly if you are in and out of a pickup truck with it on your belt, or something like that.

You will probably like either, it's just which is best for your use.

jad0110

How will you be using the gun? Home defense, range only, car gun ... ?

If for protection, I would stick to the handier 4". If for range only, either would be fine, though I personally find the 6" full lug barrel too muzzle heavy for my tastes.

brian45auto

what do you plan on doing with it? carry, range gun, other?
do you reload, or have a friend that does?
the 4" is handy, but the 6" makes better use of hotter loadings, not that the 4" doesn't.
pretty sure there is a 7 shot version... the 686plus i think.

Pestman

Most likely I'll be using it at the range and home defense. I can't carry in my state (NJ). I MAYBE will go hand gun hunting with it once or twice in my life in a neighboring state that allows it. I didn't realize the older S&W are much more beloved than the new ones. What is the disadvantage to the internal lock I'm reading about?? BTW...that is a sweet looking revolver Roaddog! Verry nice.

Last edited:

brian45auto

they make an ugly hole in the side of the frame, that is not easily fixed.
but more importantly, the lock itself can break, at the most inopportune times, rendering the pistol unworkable.

Melissa5

If you are not absolutely set on the 686...the Ruger GP100 .357 is just as good or better. The size is comparable to the 686 and the GP100 doesn't have a lock. The best part is that it is significantly less expensive than the 686.

Pestman

Yes I will definitely check out the Rugers. I didnt realize they made a larger frame .357. They look nice. I am new to handguns. I just started getting into handguns. I always shot shotguns and rifles.

roaddog28

I agree Melissa. If you can't get a pre-lock Smith get the GP100 Ruger. I just got one to go with my 686-3 pre-lock. I looked at the new 686s but could not justify the money. The triggers on the new Smiths are no where as good as the old Smiths. Actually my new GP100 has a better trigger out of the box than the new Smiths. And GP100 is already getting better the more I use it.

Good luck,
roaddog28

wmeSha

My GP100 bought a year ago also has an excellent trigger--4" barrel, adjustable sights. It's perhaps the handgun I'm most accurate with (although my CZ-75B is very good too). I also purchased my Ruger in lieu of a S&W with a lock.

Always-Vigilant

S&W 686

I have a S&W 686-6 4" barrel. I love it. Shoots great in DA and SA. The internal lock gives me no problem (I don't use it) but the tigger is just fine. To much is made of the internal lock. This is a quality revolver - probably one of the best - but I'm partial to S&W when it comes to a revolver. I have a 642 also.

Attachments

• S&W 686.jpg
    S&W 686.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 65

NJgunowner

I just ordered a Ruger Gp100. After some range time that's what I settled on.

If you ever make it to Brick Armory those guys LOVE the GP100.

roaddog28

Thanks Pestman. I wanted to update my earlier post. I had indicated that I just bought a new GP100 4 inch Stainless Steel. Here it is to go with my 686-3 4 inch. Now have the best of both worlds.

Pestman good luck,
roaddog28
GP100b.jpg

686-3wood.jpg

fyimo

I guess I'm the odd ball because I like my 6 inch S&W 686 better then a 4 inch because I shoot mine a lot with full house 357 loads and the added weight of the 6 inch absorbs recoil better and I shoot better with the longer sight radius.

madcratebuilder

brian45auto said:
they make an ugly hole in the side of the frame, that is not easily fixed.
but more importantly, the lock itself can break, at the most inopportune times, rendering the pistol unworkable

I agree the Hillary Hole is bfugly, but can you point me to a documented case of lock failure at the most inopportune time?

spacecoast

I guess I'm the odd ball because I like my 6 inch S&W 686 better then a 4 inch because I shoot mine a lot with full house 357 loads and the added weight of the 6 inch absorbs recoil better and I shoot better with the longer sight radius.

+1

My 6" 686 is a dream to shoot, recoil is nil for .38s and very manageable even with 1600+ fps magnum loads. The Rugers are less expensive but the Smith is a better looking gun IMHO. I looked at both the 686 and the GP100 side by side when I bought and chose the used S&W over the new Ruger. YMMV.

18DAI

If you can't locate a pre lock 686, see if you can find a 3" blue Ruger GP100. The 3" GP100 is one sweet sixgun.

The 686-4 is a great version of the 686. No lock or MIM parts, and a hammer mounted firing pin. They are available for less than what you would pay for new production too. I have a 4" 686-4+. Very nice revolver. Good luck with your search! Regards 18DAI.

stevieboy

Geeze, I don't want to turn this thread into yet another "lock-war" thread, but I've gotta say that my lock-equipped 686-6 is an absolutely flawless gun. In the three years + that I've owned it I've fired several thousand rounds with it, firing everything from 148gr. 38 special wadcutters to 125gr. .357 magnum screamers, without a bit of difficulty with the lock or anything else for that matter. So, my advice is not to worry about the lock and buy a 686, with or without one, with confidence.