S&W 325s cannot be dryfired? Paging Joe Hatley!

Sir William

OK. I am looking at BIG bore 44s and maybe a 45 ACP. I was looking over the S&W Frankenstein 45 ACPs known as the 325. 2.5" and 5" IIRC. I asked if I could try the action out by dryfiring these revolvers. The salesman said no. Dryfiring is destructive and will damage these S&W models. Anybody heard that before?

Pezo

I cant awnser your question regarding those model guns. but I can say that is amazing how alot of dealers really dont know *^%## from shinola about firearms.:)

Webleymkv

Dryfiring in excess can be bad for guns. It usually takes many thousand dryfires to cause problems though. One possible exception is a CZ 52 which should never be dryfired (it has a brittle firing pin that is prone to breakage). Sounds to me like the guy was just a jerk. If he's that concerned he should keep some snap caps around so his customers can still try the action.

JoeHatley

The salesman was mistaken. The S&W manual states that dry firing is fine for all their revolvers, except the rimfire models.

325pd_t.jpg

He may have been blowing "smoke" your way, to prevent the cylinder from getting that telltale ring, or maybe he thinks there is something "magic" about the Sc/Ti guns that precludes dry firing (there isn't). In either case, he should provide snap caps for potential customers. Kinda hard to get a buyer to spring for over $600 in a snubbie with out being able to test the action.

Good Luck...

Joe

LH2

Sp101 .22?

The shop guy told me I couldn't dryfire my .22lr SP101, but the instruction manual for all SP's (.22lr, .32 H&R, 9mm, .38, .357) says dry firing is OK and makes no mention of the .22 being any different that way.

So it's okay to dry fire my .22 afterall?

**EDIT** Called Ruger and it's OK to dryfire all their guns, even the rimfires. So that's cool.

Last edited:

Sir William

Thanks Joe! I thought I was correct and proper in asking first. The no I got in reply seemed odd. I figure if a firearm cannot be dryfired, there is a design flaw. I appreciate your reply and knowledge. I like the weight for CCW. I am still wanting to do a side by side with a 625. I might end up with a 625, 629 and a 325 2.5" for CCW.