S&W 3" Barreled 1911 ?

Deputy Dog

Has any body had the chance to shoot the S&W 3" barreled 1911 yet? I was thinking about getting one, but I know there is a reliability issue with 1911's with shorter barrels than 4.25". If anyone has any input of any kind, please share. For this gun would be carried as a BUG on a regular bassis! I carry a full size Sig Sauer 1911 .45 ACP right now as a primary gun and want something with same action type and magazines, caliber and workability...

DD

VTRich

I've had one for about 6 months now and love it. The first time I shot the gun, I had a FTF on the second round. It's been perfect since.

Wanabebiker

I had 3" SW1911 and traded it for a Commander sized SW1911PD Gunsite model. I wish I had kept the 3" gun as I have traded the PD too. When I first got the 3" gun the grip safety would release the trigger before it moved the firing pin safety out of the way so the hammer would drop and no bang. I called S&W and they paid to ship it back to the factory for repairs. Two weeks later it came back and shot great. I never had any feed problems with the gun and put about 500 rounds through it before I made the mistake of trading it.

I owned a Kimber Ultra before the Smith and it had losts of feed issues the SW1911 was much more reliable. The S&W 3 inch gun does not have a ramped barrel like the Kimber. The breech is just like a full sized barrel. The slide spring is a different design too.

How do you like the Sig 1911. I am thinking about getting one of their carry models.