S&W 29-3 Whats It Worth and When Was the 29 Beefed Up?

Gila Jorge

Have a fellow with a 29-3 4" for sale and was interested in what ANIB would be worth. Also when was the 29 beefed up for heavy loads...was that the 29-5...? Thanks in advance.

Powderman

The "-#" after the model number does NOT mean that the gun was beefed up. It is simply a variation from the original model.

I have a 29-3. Translated, this means Model 29, 3rd modification/variant.

Preacherman

I think that the Model 29 was, indeed, "beefed up" in terms of its internal lockwork, after it was found that the 29-2's would suffer so much damage from heavy loads that after fifty to a hundred rounds of the stuff, some of them had their cylinders rotating backwards! :eek: I don't know the model variation that brought in the stronger lockwork, but I'm sure it was either before, or at, the 29-5. I think the Model 629's all have the updated lockwork, IIRC - can anyone out there confirm this?

However, the older 29's are still fine to shoot with normal .44 Magnum loads - just don't put Garrett Hammerheads or Buffalo Bore stompers in them and expect them to last! I have a 4" 29-2 that I've set up with the Cor-Bon defensive load (180gr. @ 1200 fps), and it's a real pleasure to shoot.

riverdog

From a Roy Jinks email:

"Model 29's with the full endurance package are marked Model 29-5. They came into production in 1990. I hope this helps.
Roy G. Jinks
Historian
Smith & Wesson"

riverdog

What loads are considered heavy and what would be okay as a steady diet for a 29-3? Is 240 gr at 1250FPS a steady diet load?

Preacherman

Riverdog, I think that any of the factory-standard 240gr. or 250gr. loads should be just fine in any Model 29. By the time your bullet weight gets above 250gr., you're starting to talk "+P" language in .44 Magnum terms. The hottest "mass-production" cartridge I know is the 300gr. Federal CastCore load, and this has caused damage to Model 29's - I've seen it. The heavy hunting loads from Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore, Garrett Cartridges, etc. are simply too heavy for ANY Model 29 in extended use, IMHO - in fact, Randy Garrett specifically marks his heaviest Hammerheads as being suitable ONLY for Ruger Redhawks and Super Redhawks.
Even the otherwise excellent Blackhawks and Freedom Arms revolvers aren't recommended for this stuff - besides which, the round's OAL might be too long for some of their cylinders.

buford1

Went back to PA last summer and a friend of mine was showing me his mdl 29-5. I own a mdl 29-2. All I can say the workman ship on the mdl 5 was bad the gun just felt light, the bluing was bad. Did not have the quality workmanship of the mdl 29-2

geo57

preacherman, as others have stated, you are right about the 29-5 having the endurance updates. the 629's however did not get this from birth. though im not certain of exactly what model did get the beefier guts, ( i think 629-3, but dont quote me ) i had an early 629 that definitely did not in the 80's.

mikey357

...629's got the "Endurance Package" with the 629-2E...concurrent with the first production run of the full-lugged "Classic Hunter"...FWIW....mikey357