S&W 29-3 price check

superpelly

S&W 29-3 5 7/8 barrel, about 98% slight muzzel ware, Gap is tight, little cylinder play.

Local sports store has one for $499.00.

The ony thing about this gun I don't like is that the previous owner tried to revarnish the grips and did a grappy job!!! It would probably need new replacement grips.

geetarman

That sounds almost too good to be true. I bought one from the original owner last year for around $650. The one I bought looked like it had been shot 100 times or less. It is in great shape.

If the gun is that clean, it is worth it.

Geetarman:D

carguychris

That is a very good price for a gun with butchered grips, some finish wear, and no box or presentation case. It's not an outstanding deal but it's certainly worth running back to the store. :)
...5 7/8 barrel...
I am fairly confident that the barrel has been measured incorrectly. It is supposed to be measured from the muzzle to the cylinder face, not to the barrel/frame interface.

The barrel is probably 6-1/2", which is by far the most common M29-3 barrel length, arguably because this is the gun that was used by Inspector Callahan in the Dirty Harry movies. :)

[EDITED TO ADD FOOTNOTE] If the barrel is 5-7/8" when measured correctly, this is not a factory length, and it may have been cut. This will downgrade the value significantly. OTOH if the barrel actually measures exactly 6", this gun is one of the more rare M29-3 variants, and you should whip out your wallet as fast as possible. :D

Paochow

How much more are the 6" 29-3's worth? I bought one a few years ago for $500 and was later disappointed it was a half inch shorter than the Dirty Harry gun. Didn't know they were worth more.

carguychris

Actually, it was a snafu. The rare 6" M29s are the -2 and earlier.

This is what I get for going from memory sometimes. :eek:

mrMONEYman

Well, lets see.....

I have a 6.5" M29-3 that I got in a trade. For the trade, I traded a SigP6, plus $100. I got the P6 for $350.

So, I got my M29-3 for about $450 :D

glenncal1

IMHO $500 is a good price to pay for a high condition N frame especially if it includes the original box and accessories. There are guys who can restore those grips for you or you canget another set. I have a 29-3 and it is a very nice gun.

29-3.jpg

superpelly

Bought it. I went back and made a offer of 450.00 because of the grips.

I did find some S&W grips for a model 29 for $55.00

I'm happy now.

Last edited:

Hal

If you think you're happy now - wait till you drop the hammer on some rounds ;).
Nice gun.
I have a 4" barrel 29 & I always thought it looked a little unbalanced.
The longer 6.5" seems to fit the N frame size better.