S&W 28-2 Price check?

smee78

Hello everyone,

I saw a S&W 28-2 4" for sale the other day and they were asking $500 for it. The finish is about 60% the rear sight is wrong (it is to long and over hangs the frame to the barrel by about an 1/4") and a few of the screws are buggered from using the wrong screw driver. It also has a set of rubber grips, no wood grips :(. How does this add up in yalls area? I already checked the online boards for what they have sold for (Gun Broker and such) and have an idea but am concerned someone may have bubbed this gun up "fix'in it". I haven't bought an N frame in a while, so what say yall?

lamarw

Just my opinion, but you will spend a couple of hundred to help it out and still have a four hundred dollar revolver.

reddog81

$500 is a good price for most model 28’s. $500 does not sound like a good price on that model 28.

At $300 I’d say go for it. At $400 I’d think about it. At $500 you’re getting to close to the price of a decent gun. Spend a little more and get something that’s not a total dog.

dgludwig

The buggered screw heads would bother me more than anything else. No telling what some wannabe "gunsmith" did by digging around in the innards of the revolver you're looking at. $300.00 tops if it were me.

Last edited:

smee78

Thanks everyone, I was thinking the same thing but wanted to be sure. I think I will keep my distance from this one.

44 AMP

Staff
Pass on the gun.
OR, offer the shop a lowball figure...
OR, tell the shop that if they send the gun to S&W and get it refurbished, you'll pay their asking price. :D

"The finish is about 60% the rear sight is wrong (it is to long and over hangs the frame to the barrel by about an 1/4")"

It's not at all uncommon for the rear sight to overhang there.

The body of the rear sight is essentially a bow spring. By extending it out it helps equalize the pressure/torque on the screws that hold it to the frame.

Every one of my adjustable sight S&Ws has a rear sight body that overhangs the barrel.

lamarw

As I posted above, a 60% Model 28-2 is closer to a $400.00 revolver vs. a $500.00 one. A decent set of stocks will cost you close to $150.00 and the replacement screw will be a few bucks. We are not sure if their is a problem with the rear sights or not.

Either way by the time you replace the screws and the stocks, you will still only have what is considered a fair to good condition Model 28-2 worth less than the asking price. So, you did well in my opinion by walking away from this one.

The Model 28-2 is a fine revolver. They are plenty of them out there to choose from.

highpower3006

I will jump on the "pass on that one" bandwagon and would advise you to wait for a better one to come along, or at the very least, try to grind them down to something a bit more reasonable. The screws are easy to replace and if you are patient you can find a set of original grips, although the prices of original S&W stocks has been rising faster than the prices of the guns they go on.

However, deals can be found if you keep looking. Many years ago I sold off a Model 28 to fund another gun purchase, a decision that has haunted me ever since as I had not been able to find another for sale when I had the money available. A couple of weeks ago I finally found one here locally for $500 that I would say was in about 85% condition finish wise and was mechanically perfect. Needless to say I bought it on the spot and took it out last week and put a box of .357's and a box of .38 through it and I am very happy to have another in my hoard.

IMG_6901-XL.jpg

PS; It sounds like the rear sight is correct as the rear sights on all my adjustable sighted Smiths protrude beyond the top of the frame.

sarge83

I would pass on that price with the many issues as you describe this piece having. Offer $375 with the understanding you are going to spend more to correct issues with this specimen. Or just look for a better Model 28, they are out there.

In 2013 I picked up a Model 28-2 with a 6 inch barrel for $350 OTD at a pawn shop. There were no mechanical flaws and it was what I would say carried and used condition, not abused, but used. I could refinish it but choose not to at this time as the piece has character I think. It did have ugly rubber grips, but I had a pair of target grips I had bought years ago for $10 and I put them on there and it looked like a factory fit. I really like this weapon, it and it's little brother the Model 19-4.

armednfree

I'd pass. I figure if it's beat up on the outside who knows what it's like on the inside. I'd rather put another $200 on that than take such a bet.

jaguarxk120

Check on Guns International for selling prices. There maybe some room to bargain.
But If that gun was for sale at Cabelas it would sell for much more.

Buy it they do not make any more of them and finding another will next to impossible.

smee78

Thanks everyone, I dropped by the shop on Friday and it was still there at the same price. I may stop by again at the end of the month to see if they will let me lowball them? They seem more willing to deal at the end of the month.