S&W 27 vs 28

YosemiteSam357

Can someone tell me the essential difference between these two models? I realize the 28 is called the "Highway Patrolman", but what distinguishes one from the other (other than model number)?

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

steveno

the main difference is that the M-27 is a nicely finished revolver. the M-28 has a dull finish to it. both are very good 375 mag revolvers

LHB1

Yes, they both are N frames. I owned an M28 for many years. It was a great gun. AFAIK, the ONLY difference in the two guns was the finish and the model number stamped on the barrel. As stated by another poster, the M27 was a deep, brilliant blue finish while the M28 was a dull satin finish.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Sir William

In short, S&W created the Heavy Duty 38-44. A 38 Special on a 44 or N large frame. The 357 Registered Magnums were developed from this platform, the finest handbuilt, factory tuned and registered by serial weapons ever manufactured. The M27 came from the same gene pool. A true old-fashioned Target revolver. Many police officers felt the M27 was a perfect service issue weapon. The price was a little much for beancounting managers. S&W responded by producing a matte finished, no topstrap machining and slightly fewer options in the basic M27. The M28 was born and an instant hit. There was no difference internally and they shared the same frame, internals and shared several options in triggers, hammers and grips.

Peter M. Eick

Here are some pre-27/pre-28 pictures.

28-27.jpg

The pre-28 is on the bottom. I cannot really see much difference between the pre-28 and the pre-27 overall. The big difference is the pre-27 has a checkered barrel and frame and the pre-28 has a better double action trigger pull.

mete

And the 27 cost 1/3 more than the 28 ! The 28 was a real bargain and as an N frame it wasn't bothered by a diet of full loads.

YosemiteSam357

Well, it's a moot point now, as I picked up my 27 last night! :)

Found one locally in a shop I'd never visited before, at a very attractive price compared to those I've seen online. 8-3/8" barrel, target grips, target hammer and trigger, even a walnut presentation case in very good shape.

I'm trying to get out of work a little early tonight to go see how she works.

Thanks for all the help!

-- Sam

Quantrill

Another difference as I remember was that the #27 was offered in a greater selection of barrel lengths, the #28 only in 4 and 6 in. Quantrill

Ozzieman

All good info but a few other differences

The 27 came with wider target triggers and wider hammers, and every one I have ever felt had a much better trigger. To this day the finest wheel gun that I ever owned or pick up was a 5 inch 27, new in the box back in the early 70's.
If there ever was a Cadalac of guns it was the 27.
But then again the Mod 25 I have is.
And the 29 I have is.
And the 24 I have is.
And the ,,,,,
OH never mind you get the idea :rolleyes: