S&w 25

DAL

I recently saw a S&W 25, I think it was a 25-2, at a pawn shop for $400. It had the firing pin on the hammer and it was in .45 Colt. (At first I thought I had lucked out and found one in .45 ACP--I've been saving to buy a 625 in .45 ACP with a 4" barrel when they get to my local gun shop--but it wasn't in .45 ACP.)

I don't really need the gun (since when has that had anything to do with a gun purchase?), so I'm not too sure I'll make an offer on it. It sure was nice though. Realistically, if I bought a .45 Colt, it would probably be a Ruger so I could shoot stout handloads at least some of the time.

Does anyone have any experience with this gun in this caliber?
DAL

I just bought a 24-3 6.5" for $400.

I've been looking for a 25 in .45 Long Colt for a LONG time, longer than I've been looking for the 24.

I'd pay $400 for it in a heartbeat, but that's just me. They're virtually unobtainable here in Northern Virginia, and when you do find them, they're in only decent condition but carry 99%+ prices.

ms1200

I had a mod. 25 that i ended up selling to my brother to finance a new rifle.they are very nice guns. I've been trying to buy it back ,but with no luck so far.

JoeHatley

I've bought a couple of model 25's in .45 colt within the last 18 months.

IIRC, I paid $365 for one, and $385 for the other. They are really fun guns and the 6" version turned out to be a really accurate revolver.

Good Luck...

Joe

Mannlicher

I bought a 25-5 NIB some years back. Mine has the 6 inch barrrel and is in .45 Colt. Last year, I had some work done on it. The butt is now round, MepPro tritium adjustable sights, trigger job, all new internal parts, changed out the target hammer and trigger for thinner ones, and installed a new style cylinder release. matte finish hard chrome, and best of all, a matching cylinder in .45 ACP.

The gun is a shooter, and will group around an inch at 25 yards with .45 Colt 200 gr CorBon, or with .45 ACP HydroShock 230 grain. I hand load some fairly stiff .45 Colt loads with hard cast LSWC bullets and a lot of 296. The gun has digested thousands of heavy loads, with no problems. For years, the 25-5 was my constant companion on the Applachian Trail when on my annual hikes. It was always a comfort, with it's cylinder full of the old WW Silvertip 225 HP.

2shots

Funny how some things just don't work out. I recently decided on a used Mountain Gun in .44, looked everywhere for a decent deal and came up empty. Was about to go retail and stumbled on a 25-5, a 4-inch gun in exceptional condition. Though not a round butt or caliber I want, $250 was too good to pass up.