S&W .22LR Autos

Dabull

Just saw another thread dealing with a problematic Sig Mosquito. Lots of threads out there dealing with relatively problem free Rugers and Buckmarks.

I have a 15 year old S&W 2206 that handles Bulk Federal, Remington Thunderbolt, CCI Minimag, and PMC with waxed noses. The 422, 622, 2206 models were discontinued long ago. Given the reliability of mine, I wondered why. Is my pistol typical or a fluke?

Anybody have an opinion on the average reliability of this line of pistols or know why they were discontinued?

B. Lahey

I've got a 2206T and it's great. Magazines are expensive and hard to find, but other than that, it's the real mustard. When it's relatively clean it will run Gold Medal and the other light target stuff, but it likes Lapua Speed Ace best, tiny groups flawless function.

Dunno why they stopped making them.

Ranger61

I have a 2206 as well. The thing that doomed them was they were too expensive to maufacture compared to the market price point. They have the relatively high end target market covered with the Model 41. But Ruger was taking over the lower end of the market and it really started to dominate after they started making the MK II in stainless. Browning redesigned the challenger line for less expensive manufacture and started the Buckmark line. Smith brought out the 422, 522, 622, 2206 line to try to compete but both the MK II and the Buckmark were simpler designs so they could retail for less and still provide a profit margin. Smith saw the writing on the wall pretty quickly and went back to the drawing board and came up with a simpler design, the 22A. Unfortunately, I think they undershot the market just slightly and got a simple to manufacture gun but it comes off as a bit cheesy in comparison to th Mk III and the Buckmark.

Citizen Carrier

I used a 2206T for the first season of rimfire bullseye I started a few years ago.

A possible problem with the 2206T model is the adjustable sight mounted directly on the slide. Others have claimed this added just enough weight to the slide to make it less reliable with standard velocity target loads.

It did seem to me that other guns were a tad bit more reliable. I didn't care for the 2206T's trigger pull either. I think it may have been caused by the magazine disconnect safety, but I cannot say for sure. Not sure why they put one of those on that family of pistols when they do not put one on the Model 41.

Magazines were expensive because they were the same magazines used by the Model 41.