S&w 22a

deanadell

Got a nice sized gift certificate from Academy Sports that's burning a hole in my pocket........

In Sunday's sales ad, they have a S&W 22A, semi-auto 22lr 10-shot mag, for $199.99.

Thinking about heading down there this week and adding it to the arsenal.

Any feedback? Reviews? Anyone have one? Problems?

And before we get started, Yes, I already have a Ruger :D

jakeswensonmt

Disclaimer: I don't own one, but I've used one.
I thought the 22a was a decent shooter, but I wasn't impressed with its quality level. For example the slide release was thin and flimsy, didn't think it would last long.
$199 is a typical price for this gun, not a bad deal but not a great one either, so I wouldn't feel the need to jump at it.
My opionion: I would spend a few more bucks and get a Buckmark. If you've got a Ruger and a Buckmark, your bases are covered in the 22lr pistol department.

packa45

I like mine. It's accurate and never had a single problem with it being reliable. I have about 5k rounds through using 10-15 different types of ammo. It's kinda cool you can buy different length barrels and just swap them out. I still prefer my buckmark for looks and the trigger is a little better but they cost more and the 22a is a good shooter. I think you'll enjoy it.

Jkwas

I like mine

I've only got it about 4mos and it's been to the range 3 times but after 600 rounds it's seems to be a solid shooter. Very accurate with the feel of a full size service pistol. It's got an open breach area you can drive a truck thru. Very easy to clean even without dis-assembly. Has nice adjustable sights and a weaver rail for optics. For the money, I'm very satisfied.
Oh, for what it's worth, it likes HV ammo. Mine loves CCI minimags:D
And don't forget the famous S&W warranty. ;)

gopack

The 22A is an accurate, reliable pistol. I have 3 Rugers, a Buck Mark Standard, 22A and P22. Each has good points. The 22A holds its own with the Rugers and Buck Mark. (The P22 is fun, but not in the same class.)

If you like the fit and feel, then the 22A is a great buy.

MrApathy

fun gun. be sure to clean it every so often otherwise it will start to malfunction.

call S&W and ask for recoil buffers not sure thats the right part name.
its cheap plastic part that gets shredded with use.

accurate. one complaint the rail is not quite to spec and could use some milling.

Jkwas

call S&W and ask for recoil buffers not sure thats the right part name.
its cheap plastic part that gets shredded with use.
S&W shipped mine with two mags and 4 extra buffers. Apparently these are "wear items"

Harris304

You made a wise decision. 22A is a very accurate and fun gun. Shoot this more then any other .22 I own. Have fun and shoot the heck out of it.

Fer

S&W 22A never seen one of those, I had a 22A but it was a beretta. Any pictures of that S&W anyone?

crankshop1000

I love mine. I added a red dot and with the 7"bbl it is a tackdriver. Easy to disassemble and clean.The recoil buffer is really the only wear item and they are cheap and easy to replace about every 1500 rds. Don't worry about the durability, there is a lifetime warranty. Great shooter for the money.
IM002258.jpg

gopack

Ugly pistol crankshop.:D
DSC00080.jpg

I've got about 15k rounds on this one, most of them with the 5.5" barrel. Had a problem with the firing pin assembly at 9k rounds. Other than that the only problem I have is that it shares range time with my Rugers, Buck Mark and Single Six. The pistol is a fun, accurate, dependable shooter. I just need more hands or range time to shoot it as often as I'd like.

packa45

Wish I wasn't on the road and could take a pic of mine with the stainless red-dot. I'd show you both up :D :rolleyes: +1 on the CCI minimags. It really does like the higher velocity rounds. I don't think I buy anything but CCI anymore for .22lr

mes228

22A

I've owned two and both were good guns and very accurate. I've read somewhere that some of our elite forces (Special Forces/Seals) use the 22A with a red dot. Don't know the truth of that, but the set up is really good. Just my opinion.

deanadell

Went to get it after work last night and they were soldout. :mad: Supposed to have some on the truck tonight, so I'll head down there again Saturday and see if I can pick one up.

Rey B

I have the 22S with the 5 1/4" barrel. I have a great time every time I take it out. Very accurate, I like to shoot golf balls offhand for practice against feral squirrels and rabbits. :D The only problem is that I keep getting asked to leave the driving range:eek:who knew golfers were such nervous types?