S&W .223 X Frame...still hoping

DiscoRacing

After several months of this weighing on my mind.. I sent a email letter to S&W R&D dept yesterday asking them if they would have any interest in making a .223 caliber X frame revolver. Im curious to see just what the reply will be. I would really love to have one...since I have five of the X frame big bores already... Not that .223 would be a big bore... but would be fun to shoot and hunt with I would think.

Jim March

Yeah, that's a no-go. Basically the shells would "stretch" backwards on firing, jamming against the frame. One or two *might* not lock up the cylinder but by #3 or 4 I'd pretty much bet on it.

Bottleneck cases have been done in revolvers, but only with fairly gentle shoulders. Look up the old 38-40 and 44-40 rounds, or Gary Reeder's 356GNR (41mag shell necked down to .357). Those are revolver compatible. The 357Sig on the other hand, no way, and the 223 is even higher pressure than that.

The .22Hornet can work, as can the 30-30. Bu the 223's shoulder is way too steep...it'll bulge and fling the bottom end of the shell out hard at 50,000psi pressure or whatever that damnthing is.

DiscoRacing

I figured that would be close to the answer I will get from them also... one could always dream tho...

... It has just been a lingering thought that keeps haunting me.

David the Gnome

Just get one of these:

DSC05812.jpg

:D