S&W 1917 Revolver questions

Commygun

I bought a Brazilian contract 1917 on Friday. It has been recently
reblued and I can still see traces of pitting on it but it's unusually
tight for a 65-year old gun, no more play than a new S&W or
Ruger, the crane/frame fit is tight and the screws are crisp. Shot
it yesterday and it put them in the black at 25-yards. Now that
I know it works properly it's time to accessorize. Any help with
the following questions would be appreciated.
What's the original finish of this gun? Blued? Parkerized?
Is there a source for repro original style wood grips?
A source for an authentic lanyard?
Who sells good quality full-moon clips?
Who sells the handy little tool for removing the empties from
the clips, or better yet, has devised their own method for
doing this easily?
Thanks again.

gordo b.

I think the original finish was fine wire brush blue . You could get this done at Accurate Plating in florida, they could probably stone out pits.

jar

Some were bright blued but others matte. I see grips every once in a while on E-Bay but most just had the standrad S&W grips and not the 1917 style grips.

For moon clips try www.moonclips.com

Neat, aint they.

Old Fuff

I think Numrich Arms (http://www.e-gunparts.com ) has reproductions of the kind used on the Model 1917 (US Military version) I believe most of the Brazilian gun had commercial checkered grips with nickel-plated trademark escutions, but they are hard (and usually expensive) to find. If you can't do any better you might look into these.

JMC

I bought a Brazilian contract 1917 back in '88 (paid too much it, $350) when they first hit the market big time. It even came with a copy of a letter from S&W with the history of the gun(s).

Mine appeared to be unfired but is dinged up a bit from rough handling/shipping. It is very tight and shoots great with either ACP or AR rounds.

It has the S&W high blue finish and the small commercial checkered grips with the silver colored S&W logo. Some of the guns had plain, no checkering, grips.

As stated, original grips are very hard to find and costly.

jmlv

any chance I could get a copy of that letter?

I have one of the brazilian contract guns. real nice gun. ine has been refinished and modified for my tastes.
action tuned and action parts blued
gun green parkerized
front sight orange ramp
camo pachmayr presation grips

Attachments

• 1917 custom.jpg
    1917 custom.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 77

Richard

Tyler Gripper

If you find the original grips also buy a Tyler Gripper for the revolver. Without it there isn't much to hold on to. Regards, Richard:)