S&W 1911

SundownRider

Hey Gang!

Been thinking about a S&W 1911 in 9mm. I saw one at the LGS and they were asking $1300. While I can afford it, my question is whether or not it's worth it? I can pick up a SA 1911 in 9mm for about $300 less.

Thanks,

Mrgunsngear

Loaded question... 'Worth it' is extremely subjective. I have S&W 1911s and RIA 1911s (to include a 9mm tactical model). The smiths are much nicer, no doubt, but both guns go bang and are very accurate guns. If you purchase it and are happy with the gun after owning it, then it's worth it.

erob3

I also own both the S&W 1911 9mm and the Rock Island Tactical 1911 9mm. Both pistols shoot great and both are accurate, I will say the S&W is more accurate though. The overall finish of the S&W is much better, the action is tighter and in my opinion a much nicer gun. Here again it boils down to what you are wanting in a pistol and how much you are willing to spend. I waited, got LUCKY, and found one on the internet in AZ of all places used but in like new condition. I am in TN. I looked for quite a while before finding it, they don't come along used very often. The LGS price is about norm. I have seen them on Gunbroker and Auction Arms new and used, you may want to check there. Good Luck.

jmr40

Not sure about the price, but will say the 2 S&W 1911's I own in 45 are the best 1911's I've ever owned. I'd highly recommend the Smith, but might look around for a better price.

SundownRider

Thanks guys! I'll look around a bit. I don't need it for a while, as the IDPA season is winding down for the year, but I would like to get something soon for winter practice.

Z400ACDC

I have the old version S&W1911 that is just a range gun for me. No Way I want to CC a pistol that BIG. My S&W is very accurate and goes bang everytime.

Fishbed77

My brother has an SW1911 he purchased new earlier this year. It's this version:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764907_-1_757754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Unfortunately, it has been very dissapointing.

After a few trouble-free mags, it began to exhibit failures to go into battery - usually about every other magazine, but sometimes several times in one mag. We thought it might be a mag issue, so he bought a few Wilson mags and got the same problems. He's sent it back to S&W twice, (and thinking it might be hanging up on the slide stop, had a new slide stop sent free by S&W).

He also shot the heck out of it, thinking it just needed a serious breaking in. Also tried stronger recoil springs. All to no avail. After well over 1000 rounds, (and all the other hassles) it's still exhibiting the same probems. No exotic ammo either - all round nose, mostly WWB, Federal, Speer, and a little UMC. He's also the kind of guy that keeps his guns very clean and well-maintained.

At this point, I think he's so disgusted with it, he just doesn't shoot it and doesn't even want to think about it. I feel really bad for him - he saved up a while for it, and we've tried just about everything we can think of to get it functioning. Too bad - it's a really nice-looking and very accurate gun, and it sounds like he's in the minority when it comes to problems with the model.