S&W 1911

vikingextreme93

I am looking at a 1911 and waivering between a Springfield loaded and a S&W 1911, is the S&W a better firearm? I cant remember where I read it but I recall seeing a comment that S&W is not a true 1911...I am a 1911 novice so looking for some insight. Really I just want something relatively basic in Stainless with a beavertail that will be utterly reliable for under $900.

lechiffre

i have had good luck with my SW1911

the S&W has a swartz firing pin safety and an external extractor.

the springfield has a glued in ejector and a different size firing pin.

neither one is "a true 1911"

KyJim

I recall seeing a comment that S&W is not a true 1911
They use both an external extractor and a Swartz safety system. Some shooters, especially purists, do not like these. SW seems to have done a good job with the external extractor. As far as the Swartz safety system is concerned, my preference would be no (Kimber uses it as well). Here's some info quoting Hilton Yam on this and other 1911 issues. Hilton Yam is someone that people seriously listen to.

http://shadowspear.com/vb/showthread.php?22218-Definitive-users-guide-1911-by-Hilton-Yam&p=328268

The SW 1911s do seem to have a good reputation and excellent customer service.

44 AMP

Staff
My son has one of the S&W 1911s

A S&W 1911 PD (IIRC), he left it with me during his last deployment, with instructions to put some rounds through it. I put a couple hundred through it, bringing the total up to around 500 or so for the gun. It fuctioned flawlessly, and would shoot 2.5" groups @25yds (with Blazers!). Gun was new, and therefore tight, but it worked fine.

It has features I didn't care for, I don't need a rail, and I dislike the "bump" on the grip safety, intensly. Sights were excellent for duty/combat use, trigger was good, ambi safety was positive and easy to use. His gun also has a full length guide rod, another thing I have no use for, but there were no problems, except for needing the supplied tool for takedown.

Be aware that "standard" 1911A1 grip panels will not fit the S&W guns, the spacing of the screw holes is slightly different. Based on my son's gun, they are fine guns, and if the "race gun" features don't bug you, you won't go far wrong with one.

The external extractor doesn't bother me, purist that I am, :D it worked just fine too.

I shoot the Colt Government Model that my Dad bought in the late 60s, love it, and don't need all the bells and whistles found on many new guns. But if you do, the S&W isn't a bad choice. You could do a lot worse.

And no, I don't have the S&W any more, my son took it back after he came back from Iraq. Can't say I blame him!;)

DBAR

Who cares! They shoot thumb sized bullets that make fist sized holes, and they work rather well. There are very few true 1911's out there in the market, and Springfield Armory's 1911 is pretty freakin close to an "orginal 1911". What matters is if your happy with the gun, and if it works well.

DBAR

tjhands

I've owned two brand new S&W 1911s and each performed 100% flawlessly from the get-go. I'd never hesitate to buy another.

natjohnb

I've been really happy with my S&W1911, no problems or failures since I bought it a couple years ago.

If I wanted a "true 1911" (I do eventually) I would forget SA and just get a basic Colt.

broncobob

First of all I have two S&W 45 ACP pistols,A 645 & A 457S.
Both guns are excellent representation of Smith's gun making art,the 645
is a large gun if you ever had to pull it,the very size of it might cause the threat to go away. the 457s is very good, it's shorter than the 645
and lighter to carry,but large enough to show that you mean business if you have to pull it.

Last edited:

Technosavant

I have both a Springfield Loaded and a S&W 1911.

Between the two, I prefer the Springfield, as it doesn't have the unnecessary firing pin safety. Internal vs. external extractor doesn't make one bit of difference- they both work (S&W made a functional one). Both companies give lifetime warranties. Both companies give good customer service. The Springfield is mostly made in Brazil, the Smith is US made. IMO, the workmanship on my Springfield is better than that of my Smith- the S&W has a few tool marks here and there, but nowhere that would cause an issue.

If a Springfield and a S&W were in the case next to each other and identical in features and price, I'd probably lean Springfield. However, if I was in the market and there was a Smith but not a Springer, I'd buy the Smith and not give it another thought.

jfrey

S&W is a relatively new comer to the "1911" world. Springfield, on the other hand, has been making 1911 model pistols for a long time and is quite good at it. The bottom line basically comes down to what you like and what feels the best in your hand. For my money, I prefer the Springfield.

I know they are under new ownership but I have never forgiven S&W for going to bed with the Clinton's. I'll never own one for that reason. There are better choices out there.

passintime

I have own and shot both and really enjoyed each of them. It really comes down to the preference you have between the differences these guys have outlined. Me, I prefer the S&W. For some reason, it just was finished much better and shoots a little better...FOR ME. :p

sholling

The S&W SW1911 is a fine 1911. Accurate and very reliable. And don't fall for the boogie man stories about the Swartz safety. If we were talking about kimber's implementation it might be something to think about but S&W's is so rock solid that failure just isn't a concern.

Brian48

The S&W SW1911 is a fine 1911. Accurate and very reliable. And don't fall for the boogie man stories about the Swartz safety. If we were talking about kimber's implementation it might be something to think about but S&W's is so rock solid that failure just isn't a concern.

+1.

Ichiban

"Better" is a very relative term. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of the choices listed. It comes down to which one feels better in your hand and looks better to your eye. You are the one that's going to be using it, not us.

rjs

I have the old 1911sc billboard and it just keeps going even up here in the frozen state of Mn. Shoot it regulary even in this cold climate. Don't know the exact round count but has been 100% since 05/13/05. Good luck on your purchase.

tt0511

I own a SW1911 Compact ES. It gets the job done. Rather than asking questions like "is it a TRUE 1911", ...which I think is a silly question in some respects, ...how about asking the question: "is it a reliable firearm". The issue of being a "true" 1911 has to do mostly with the firing pin safety and external extractor from what I've read. I think it's rather foolish to make a decision based on "purism" because of a couple of things like that which were supposed to be improvements. The Smith 1911's incorporate all of the common "upgrades" you'd have to have done by a gun smith, taking along with a sack of money, to get a "true" 1911 to get it to function flawlessly in most cases. If I'm not mistaken, the whole reason for the external extractors is that it's harder to get a shorter barrel length in a 1911 platform to operate flawlessly. The external extractor is the way Smith worked that out. I could be getting my facts crossed on that, but if my memory serves well, that's the deal. My 4 1/4" ES works like it's supposed to.

I have yet to find someone who owns a Smith 1911 who doesn't love it. Most I have found own more than one because of their experience with the first. One guy said he went in to buy a Kimber and his gun smith told him his money would be better spent on the Smith. For the money, the Smith has better tolerances and quality according to that gun smith. I don't know the guy, so it's not documented, so take that for what it's worth to you.

I'm not sure about the Schwartz firing pin safety causing issues and I'm not familiar with Hilton Yam. He may know what he's talking about and you may want to look into that. That said, I haven't found anyone who owns a Smith 1911 that is equipped with the system who has had a single problem with it. There are some LEO/Ranger units who have issued the Smith 1911 for use and haven't replaced them because of failures. That's what my net search revealed to me before I purchased mine.

That's my take on it. Make up your own mind, but I can almost guarantee you won't be unhappy with a Smith. I think Springfield makes fine 1911's as well however.

44 AMP

Staff
Got news for you.....

The only "true 1911"s were made by Colt, and are marked "U.S. Property".
Period.

The pistols Colt sold on the civilian market were not 1911s, they are "Government Models". There are lots of "1911 pattern" pistols although most follow the 1911A1 pattern to a greater or lesser degree. I know of one correct reproduction 1911, but other than that one, all the guns made by Colt, S&W, Springfield, Kimber, etc. etc.,etc. are not "true 1911s". Just ask any serious collector!