S&w 19-4?

croyance

I have seen much written about the S&W 19-3 and how it appears to be the epitome of S&W revolver manufacturing. But the 19-4 seems to have the hallmark features of the 19-3 that are pointed to as signs of better workmanship and quality control - the recessed cylinder and the serrated trigger.
Is this true? What are their relative values? Does the 19-4 only have the surface features while hiding lesser workmanship?

BillCA

The 19-4 was made in 1977 and was the last modification before elminating the recessed chambers.

The -4 modification was to move the gas seal on the cylinder crane, a minor change to simplify production and provide a better seal.

The elimination of the counter-bored (recessed) chambers saved a significant amount of labor (and/or machine time). The recessed chambers were intended to resist a possible case-head rupture in a Magnum load. While it's a nice feature it was found to be unnecessary with modern metals and standardized factory pressures.

Typically the external features of a pinned barrel and recessed chambers denotes a gun built before S&W tried to cut costs by eliminating labor intensive steps in manufacturing.

I personally think the pinnacle of S&W revolver production was the Model 27 .357 Magnum. This premium wheelgun had more barrel options and a hand polished finish that showed the best of workmanship.

Most S&W models are valued by their model number only with only rare or unusual "dash series" guns being valued separately. Some people will only collect S&W's before a certain dash series and may pay more for it than a newer gun.

Sir William

The M19-4 is still a solid S&W value. I do not suggest anything past the -4 though. I prefer the M19-3, pinned, barrel, recessed chambers, better tuned and trigger stop action with the 4Ts. Target hammer and Target trigger in wide form with smooth trigger, Target sights w/front insert and RWO and Target grips. My own is a nickel 6".

JoeHatley

The 19-4 is a great gun.

19_4l.jpg

Virtually identical to the 19-3, but as Billl mentioned the gas ring was moved, which makes no performance difference.

Depending on condition and extras, both the -3 and -4 would have selling prices in the $300 --> $400 range.

Good Luck...

Joe