S&W 18-2, date of mfg, other questions

EastSideRich

I just received an 18-2 from a quasi-relative. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me how to find the year of manufacture and approximate value. I know these questions irritate a lot of people, because it suggests laziness and lack of research, but I have looked on quite a few auction sites, and gun dealer sites as well as searching through the guns for sale here and cannot find any 18-2s (have found a couple of 18-3s). I don't have access to a blue book and I'm out of ideas. If anyone has access to this information that would like to help, the sn is K759***. I also don't want an appraisal, just a sort of ball park range for one in pretty good shape.

Also, I am completely new to revolvers, so I was hoping for some tips or advice on cleaning and maintenance, as well as any tips on removing a couple small rust spots on the cylinder. I think I have seen it suggested to use fine steel wool, but I'm worried it will take off the bluing.

The other question I had is is there a way to take the cylinder off? I feel I could give it a more thorough cleaning without this in the way.

Last edited:

Cowart

is there a way to take the cylinder off?
Yes, remove the front-most small screw located on the right hand side of the frame. Don't do this unless you have a proper sized hollow-ground gun screwdriver. A generic Walmart 69¢ screwdriver is not suitable for this purpose.

JoeHatley

Per SCSW, 1967 K715997 --> K779162

$200 --> $400 depending on condition. "Pretty good shape, with some rust", I'd guestimate $300.

Joe

dispatcher

dbl bbl daryl

I believe you have a highly desirable Smith. An 18-2 was an early sixties production revlover. As I understand it was used as a police training revolver for the the duty piece- the Model 15 .38 Combat Masterpiece. I have an 18-4, pinned and recessed. It's a great shooter and a keeper.

22-rimfire

The Model 18's are quite desireable. The rust is a killer on value. They sell in as-new or excellent condition in the $550-600 range these days. Enjoy it as a shooter. It is an excellent shooter; few finer 4" 22's actually.

RJay

K-22 Combat Masterpiece or as now known the Model 18. The dash number indicate engineering changes, which sometimes are nothing more than changing the location of the rear site leaf screw. You did not give the serial number however engineering change two (18-2) was in 1961, engineering change 3 was in 1967 (18-3). Your revolver can be dated between 1961 and 1967. 0000 steel wool used gently with a light oil will remove rust. It wont remove the bluing. Yes, Many police departments used the Model 18s as training weapons. I have a 18-3 that is in 95% condition that was used by the Arizona Department of Public Safety (Our Highway Patrol) Just to make some gunners drool, Shooters World in Phoenix had a sale on police turn ins and confiscated guns about two years ago. Because I was a member and attended the pre - open to public sale, I had my pick of over 30 Model 18s to choose from and got a 10% members discount on top ot that. 180 out the door. Sometimes life is good.

dispatcher

Keep it clean with Hoppes #9, brass brush, clean pad, and a generous application of a good gun oil (Rem Oil works).

20nickels

Take a 6mm brush to the range and clean the chambers often, Most 22lr is dirty. Mine eats Wally World Federal "automatch" bulk packs, clean, cheap, accurate, and soft primers for easy ignition.

Last edited:

LarryH

I bought mine new (18-3) in September '77. It cost me $178 otd. A few months ago it appraised at $450 (98% condition).

They're great shooting guns.

EastSideRich

Many Thanks

Thanks for the info and tips guys.
Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, but it sure feels like a nice little gun. Looking forward to giving it a good work out!