S&w 15-3

carl418

I just bought my first S&W today, and I am very excited! I can hardly wait to get to the range tomorrow... Thanks to all who gave me advice the past couple of days on another thread! Quick question: any advice on ammo to shoot in this? I know it was made in 1968. Will it handle +p?

hpg

Congrats on your purchase. I just rebarreled my Model 10-5 today when I got home from work. I put a 3" on mine. hpg

carl418

I hate to ask whats probably a stupid question, but...... in S&W, what does the -3, or -5 etc, mean? I've seen it mentioned a few times that a particular gun was 'no dash'. Is that better? or does it mean it is older? Sorry to be such a rube!

XavierBreath

The "dash number" is a way of designating guns through years of production as having certain modifications that were carried forward to all in that model thereafter. It works similarly to suffix letter designations on aircraft.

For the model 15:
15 no dash........ 1957 stamping of model number
15-1............... 1959 left handed extractor rod threads
15-2............... 1962 delete trigger guard screw change cylinder stop
15-3............... 1967 relocation of rear sight leaf screw
and so on.......
Some changes such as the diamond disappearing in the grips did not merit a model number change, as the parts to repair the gun were still the same. It's really not an issue of collector minutia, but the need to specify which gun so proper parts can be ordered.

FWIW, prior to the Model number era, the changes were listed as changes, for example.....Model of 1905 third change. or M1905-3rd Change

Oh........
worthless.gif

Average Joe

It will handle +p, but it does take its toll on the piece after time. I would not give it a steady diet of +p. Good shooting.

KyJim

I would not give it a steady diet of +p
Why not? I've never seen anyone say this before about a modern K-frame S&W. It is the same frame used in the Model 19 .357 magnum which is a classic. While it is not a good idea to shoot straight .357 magnum loads in the Model 19, that doesn't mean you can't shoot +P regularly in the Model 15.

carl418

Xavier Breath, nice (not so!) subtle hint...... If I hadn't just spent the food money on a 38 year old revolver, I maybe could have bought a camera!! lol..... also, you truly amaze me with your knowledge! Thank you.....

Average Joe, thank you also! You are most kind.....

In fact, I have to say that MOST people on this forum are very considerate and helpful. (even to rubes like me!! lol....)

Steve F

I bought a 15-4 2" snubby for my wife for Valentine's day;) Excellant choice you made,and a Very well built firearm!

Best,Steve