S&W 1026/Glock 20

RandyV

OK here it is a bag of worms.S&W was made before Smith took a dive. Which is a better gun. I have a chance to buy one but cant shot either one first. Will carry while fishing and such. I know the 10mm is light but shot placement counts and is better than a stick.

44rugerfan

Actually, the 10mm is considered a pretty decent hunting round. It just never caught on, as most people handgun hunt with revolvers or single shots, not semi-auto, to which I think the 10mm was mainly marketed. Personally, I don't care when the gun was made. Why support a company that doesn't support me? And a boycott of used S&W stuff will hurt them even more. Why would someone buy a new $600 gun if they knew it wouldn't be worth spit should they ever decide to resell? Buy the Glock. Just my two cents.

Redlg155

Randy,

You stated >>I know the 10mm is light but shot placement counts and is better than a stick.<<

If you mean that it is a light weight caliber compared to other calibers, I would check your ballistic tables again. Full power 10mm loads have energy levels that exceed most if not all of the popular calibers such as the 9mm, .40,.45, .357 Sig.

I would personally prefer the Glock. You can usually find aftermarket parts and supplies more readily than the Smith. If you want a weapon that will take the abuse while fishing, hiking, etc while keeping the weight down, the Glock is definitely a better choice.

Both are good weapons in their own respects, but make sure that the 10mm caliber is one that you want to have. Ammo can be expensive and hard to find in some places.

Good Shooting
Red

jtduncan

RandyV:

I just bought a Glock 20 and love the darn thing. It's the world's most popular 10mm semi-auto. Built around the 10mm round. Not a 45 ACP beefed up to 10mm standards.

Accurate, reliable, and plenty of hi caps around.

And the polymer frame does absorb that recoil quite well. All stell guns are nice but when you're shooting some hot 10mm rounds, you'll shoot more with a Glock 20 or a Glock 29.

Tons of accessories for it to. 40SW conversion barrel that is a straight drop in for $90. Shoot .357 SIG for the same price. holsters abound. Beef up the recoil springs for nuclear rounds. Get a 6" hunting barrel to go pig and deer hunting.

No better 10mm semi auto with this versatility.

Intel6

Though the S&W 10mm is a decent pistol, the Glock 20 is the way to go especially for your intended purpose.

viesczy

I have both S&W and Glock 10mms.

The S&W 10mm pistol is a good pistol. A bit heavy, but not nearly as bulky as something like the Megastar. It is a shade more carry friendlyconcealable then the blocky G20.

But as a trail bun, the 15 round capacity of the G20 is hard to ignore.

My G20 has been utterly reliable and very accurate. As has my S&W.

Go with the Glock.

Derek

CastleBravo

Another Glock 20 vote. I own a Glock 20C and it is a great gun. Very durable, reliable and suprisingly accurate. Cor-Bon makes some seriously hot hunting ammo (200gr Penetrator FP @1200 FPS, 180gr JSP @ 1320 FPS) and heavy JHPs like Hornady 180gr XTP-Full or Pro Load 180gr Gold Dots would be good for double-duty against humans and moderate-sized critters. A 6" barrel will add some serious velocity too (around 100 FPS based on chrono data I've seen posted) and Glock has a factory 6" drop-in barrel that is really good.

C.B.