S&W 1006 Ammo Choices

Lurch37

I have been given a NIB S&W 1006 for services rendered in lieu of cash money. :D

I haven't decided whether to shoot it...or trade it/sell it for something with a little pony on the side. If I do end up shooting it, I am wanting to try out some really good ammo and I have heard that Double Tap is the stuff to get. I see that DT has several different weights to choose from and I have no clue as to which one to try. I can get the regular range stuff locally, but wanted to try something fairly stout just once. To that end, what do you 10mm guys use the most?

packa45

Only readily available FMJ I've found since joining the 10mm club is Remington. The green box stuff. UMC I think. In hollowpoints there always seems to be the 175 gr. winchester silvertips. I got some of that. Still haven't gotten any of the Double Tap but by everyone's account and DT's numbers it's the hottest thing out there for non reloads. As far as weight I'd think anything in the 175-200 gr size would be good. If I remember right they have a 180 gr. load using gold dots. That should give you the excitement you're looking for.

Out of my own curiousity I looked up some numbers from DT's site.

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 180gr. @ 1300fps / 676ft/lbs- Glock 20
Glock 29 - 1240fps

Bullet : 165gr Remington Golden Saber Hollow Point

Ballistics : 1425fps/ 744ft./lbs. - Glock 20
Glock 29 - 1360fps

Bullet : 135gr. Nosler Jacketed Hollow Point.

Ballistics : 1600fps / 767 ft.lbs. - Glock 20

That's not all they offer but if I posted them all it would be too long. Obviously the lighter the bullet the higher the velocity. If you're just looking for some fun at the range and not a good carry round try that last one. Let me know how nasty the recoil is. The 230 gr. "Equalizer" load is enticing though. Two projectiles....a 135gr JHP and a 95gr lead ball promised to hit an inch higher than the other.

Harry Callahan

You may be able to find Buffalo Bore(1350 FPS)at Cabela's. The 1006 is such a strong, heavy gun that it just seems like you're shooting .40 out of it.

Lurch37

A test pack would be a fun way to try them all. I'm going to have to see if they have that.

Man that last load at 1600fps would be a kick in the pants! Now I'm thinking I want to shoot it. Thanks guys.

Pappy John

I like D.T.'s 165 gr GoldDot load myself, for carry rounds. I keep a couple boxes of their 200 gr XTP rounds around for a woods walking load too. Good stuff!

I brew my own range loads of 180 gr Hornady HAP bullets over 11 grains of AA#7 for 1200 fps from the G20 and 1075 from the G29. Tamer than the Double Tap stuff, but still lets you know your shooting a real 10mm.

daveydoo

Checked still has them 200 rounds for 119 you get to choice from the list. Love the 40 180 xtp hotter than hornady.