S&w 1006 10mm ??

flight954

I'm having trouble getting the slide back on after field strip and cleaning. It seems to hang up on the top of the ejector,sear release and firing pin safety levers, while I'm pressing them down as the manual states. I have to use pretty good force to get the slide over the above mentioned parts in the reassemble process. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've followed the field strip process in the manual. Has anyone here with a #1006 had the same problem.

rock185

I have owned a number of S&W pistols in 9mm,10mm and .45ACP, to include 1006s, 1076s, 1026s, regular production and Performance Center versions. What you are decribing is normal for all that I own, or have owned. I use a plastic Widget, or something similar, to push the levers down so the slide can move over them.

Sevens

I'm not sure what the manual states, but I'll tell you how I do and maybe that will help?

To re-assemble, the safety is forward, in the firing position.
The hammer is also forward, as in, it's NOT cocked.

Slide back on, slowly, pressing each of the three levers as you slowly move it backward. Remember that there are THREE levers and the last one is kind of a two-stage kind of thing that you have to carefully push down as you move the slide further back.

Slide back further until the takedown notch is lined up... move the barrel a bit if it's in your way. Re-assembly is quick and easy.

To someone that's not familiar with a 3rd Gen S&W, this may read like a small nightmare. It's NOT, it's smooth and "right" and as you do it, it just feels dead - solid - perfect, like a machine with every part in unison.

YEAH, I love this handgun! :D