?'s on a Rem. 760 in 30-06

buymore

I just picked up a used 760 in 30-06. It's a 1969 manufactured model. It's got the checkering, but not the baskeweave. Black end cap. Walnut instead of birch....a few dings and light marks, nothing major. I stripped the wood because it was yellowed and flaking off in qutie a few spots. Lots of light scratches on the receiver and a few on the barrel. Looks carried alot, shot a few! It's been shot, but not a ton. Lugs look near perfect. Lock up is tight. Anything I should check other than lugs an bore? I already test fired it and everything was fine. It just flops them out, not a hard ejection....is that normal? I really didn't slam it back though, I was just trying to lay them in a pile where I could find them easily.

Also, it was missing the rear sight elevator, but the front sight blade was filed down. At 60 yds off hand I'm hitting in a group of about 4" and about 3" high. That was with Lake City Ball ammo. Just cheap plinking ammo to try it out. I will try it out at 100 yds off a sandbag to see how it groups, should be ok.

I have a scope on the way. I went with an older Bushnell 3-9x38 wide angle (Japanese) I picked up fairly cheap. If memory serves me right.....these were Baushe & Lomb glass in them! The guys says it's very clear and held zero completely, he just upgraded to a higher power scope with bigger objective. Anyone have any recollection of these scopes?

Also, anyone know of a cheap supplier of the front swivel kit? Or original magazines? I know they're on Flebay (swivel kits) and Gunbroker for both, but are there any other good sources? I don't want the cheap aftermarket magazines.

Attachments

• 100_5194.jpg
    100_5194.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_5196.jpg
    100_5196.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 100_5195.jpg
    100_5195.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 52

taylorce1

Check Numrich for parts that you need or call Remington and order them and a maual for your rifle to get the part numbers. As for magazines they are still pretty easy to find most stores like Cabela's and Bass Pro have them on the shelf, they just are not cheap. You should have 2,4, and 10 round magazines available if you order online.

moosemike

You have to work that slide rather hard to get good ejection and feeding for that matter. they were made to be slammed back and forth. The main thing I check on 760's is pump handle slop. If the handle is sloppy with the action closed it means the rubber o-ring has worn out or is gone. It requires a bit of disassembly to put a new o-ring on but I find it to be worthwhile.

Stick_man

+1 on what Slopemeno said. I have one that I purchased used nearly 25 years ago. Even with a cheap Simmons scope on it, it still gets the job done. The last 8 deer taken with it have all been one-shot kills at ranges out to about 200 yards. Only one deer I have ever taken with this rifle has taken more than 2 shots, and that was because it was at just under 400 yards on the move (I was thinking it was more like 300 yards).

I have loved my rifle and it has never let me down. Before too many more seasons, it will probably get a new set of eyes, but I am a little leary of messing with a good thing.

LateNightFlight

I found a mag for the same gun (760, '06) on Gunbroker.com. It took 44 bucks to win the bid for an original new in box magazine. The after market mags Remington sells have the plastic bottom and often need some tweaking to fit properly. On my 760, I have to put pressure on the bottom of the after-market mag for the mag latch to release, but the factory original mag in the foil lined yellow box was perfect.

And as taylorce1 said, Numrich is a good source for parts. I eventually figured out that neither of the mags I had were working because the catch on the mag latch was bent. When I tried to bend it back to correct it, it snapped off. Numrich set me up with a new one in about a week. They've also got a schematic and part # key for your gun here: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0860z760

They're good old guns. The barrel stamp on mine indicates it was one of the first off the line. They began production of the 760 in 1952, and mine is dated March, 1952. My 760 wears its original Bausch & Lomb scope, but somebody removed the iron sights. I'd like to know what the correct sights for that gun would be and replace them someday.

bigbird34

760 pump

I have a 1972 version of the 760,in 30-06 with the basket weave etc (BDL,I believe yours is the Game master )..It is a tack driver ,but I moved on to bolt action weapons as I found the pump rattles more than I liked,but I still have it in the safe ....Good Luck,Jim

Doyle

Look at Ebay for front and rear sights. I know the 760's made in the 80's use the same front and rear sights as the Rem 700. If yours does too, they are readily available on Ebay for less than Numrich sells them.

moosemike

Bigbird, if the pump rattles it's because the o-ring is worn out. Replace it and you'll be pleased with it.

ebusa

Two things that are a must on any 760/7600...

1. Make sure the forearm screw (7600) or Spanner nut (760) is tight! If it's loose you will have lock up problems.

2. Get trigger work done by the guy on GunBroker. I have had all my 7600/760's done to 3.5 lbs trigger and they are awesome!

Nothing swings and carries like a 7600/760 IMO!!!

My new main deer rilfe is a 1955 .30-06 760 Gamemaster ADL with 5 diamond checking. It's brand new! It was taking out of the box and put in a safe for over 50 years in Pennsylviania. I put a new Lepould VXII 3x9x40 Wide dupliex on it and removed the rear site and put a slot blank in it. Love this rifle!

Have fun with your rifle!!!

oneoldsap

760s

I have hunted with a 760 of one sort or another for 30 years and swear by them . My present is a late model in .358 Win. and it piles deer right up right now . Oh and before someone tells me that they weren't chambered in .358 I had a .35 Rem. rechambered for it , shortened the barrel to 20" , Finished the metal with teflon-moly , sealed up the wood and refinished it along with a little laser art on the butt stock . I also have one in .338 Federal . So my grandsons will be well equipped when I get too old to hunt or kick the bucket . I just finished a 1954 .300 Savage that someone had tapped and put a recoil pad . I gave it the treatment too , it now has a short tube action and newly refinished late model wood with a 1" shorter stock . I figured it would make some kid or lady a great deer rifle , it's a thing of beauty limbsaver pad and all . If anyone would like a custom 760 of 7600 give me a shout and I'll build ya one .

buymore

ok, I took my forend off and the o-ring fell off, and now I'm not sure if I put in back on right. Does it go on the tube before you slide the wood on or after? I thought it was on before the wood, but now wondering becasue it seemed like the action was too stiff after that? Won't be able to get to it to check for a few days, but may as well get an answer now! Thanks

moosemike

There is a groove for the o-ring on the tube. Just fit it in the groove and slide the pump handle over it. Now would be a good opportunity to replace that old o-ring though.

buymore

the o-ring appears new and is very tight on the tube and the forend, so I have it right, thanks It just made the forend very stiff moving and it is very quiet compared to without it.

red caddy

I've got a late '50's vintage 760 in 257 Roberts with a Bushnell 3 X 9. This old girl has become my go to gun for pig's and feral dogs. The swing and balance is very much like my 870 20 Ga. dove gun, so runnin' hogs, from the hood of the jeep, are in serious jepardy. (I do a fair bit of predator control on some local sod farms) 117 Gr.power point's at 3200 FPS hand loads are well under 1 MOA and pleasant to shoot. A standing hog at up to 300 Yds. is usually DRT.

This fall my buddy is takin' her to Michigan for a little whitetail harvesting and I have already started building a Savage 110 in 257 AI for him, he wants something as fast as his 220 Swift, that hits harder at distance. He wanted a 25'06 until I let him shoot my 257. Personally, I don't think the Ackley improved is going to be as accurate, but it will be a little faster.

I wouldn't trade my Roberts for any of the other chamberings in the 760, but all of them I've played with will shoot really well, comparable to or better than some bolt guns. 'specially with handloads. Just a good design, well executed. A true classic.