S&G Electronic Lock Versus Mechanical

MilesTeg

I am placing an order for a Classic 36 safe from National Security. However, I still can't decide which lock to get. I like the looks of the mechanical over the electronic. But I also like the quick access of the electronic over the mechanical. What do you use and what are the +'s and -'s to the 2 locks?

Durability?
Reliability?
Battery life?
Ease of access?

Jeff OTMG

I went through all this with National Security as well as S&G. Concensus was get the electronic lock, it is incredibly flexible. If you have a guest stay with you and they have firearms that they would leave in your house that you wouldn't want your children to have access to, you can program in a combo for the guest that is easy to remember and he has access to his guns at anytime. Each person can have their own combo. They can be easily changed if compromised. Try that with a dial lock.

Bowser

I had the mechanical lock on my safe replaced with an electronic one after the tumblers siezed. Luckily, they siezed with the door open.

The electronic locks are much better, and just as secure.

Be prepared to hear how thieves will "blow" your electronic lock with 110 volts ac. This is just as likely as them starting your car with 110 volts ac.

I have a 6 digit combo on my lock, which I can type in, in about a second. With a four digit dial type combo, you will be there quite a while - and don't even try it in the dark, or under ANY kind of pressure!!

In case the internal battery in my safe runs down, there are two external electrodes that you can attach a 9V battery to. The circuitry remembers the most recent passcode, and does NOT revert to a factory setting such as 123456 etc.

For me it was worth the extra $140 it cost - a rip off, I know, but what can you do?

Bowser.

CorG

Miles,
Would you rather do this: Left 4 times to the first number, Right 3 times to the second number, Left again 2 times to the third number, Right again to 0, ...Ooops... You messed up? Left 4 times to the ...

Or this: Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp ... BANG! As a bonus, you can even do this in the dark, blind folded - if you remember the patterned sequence.

See my safe report I just posted here:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66842

Good luck with your purchase man.

While rare, there are individuals (locksmiths & of course, thieves) who can pick mechanical locks. Not the same for electrical (but there are other ways to defeat those). Electrical are really quick and fumble free when compared to mechanical.

P

PreserveFreedom

One question for those that have experience with the electronic lock...If someone were to try to manipulate the lock with high voltage and were to fry it, how do you get it open? (I mean this as a serious question. I hope to be in the market for a vault in the next year or so.)

Bowser

PF,

to answer your question, I would say that it depends on the damage done to the circuitry. If it is truly toasted, then the safe will have to be forced open, usually done by drilling holes into the side of the safe where the locking bolts are and pounding the bolts into the open position. TIme consuming, expensive and very noisy!

Although a very valid question, it shouldn't be that great a concern - if the safe is fried in the closed position, then it has done the job of keeping thieves away from your guns and valuables. If thieves have the time and opportunity to fry your lock then it is too late to get your guns out of there anyway. One option is to keep a handgun concealed somewhere else in your house in a mini-vault, fake alarm clock etc. Of course if you have children running around you may have to rethink this.

I am very happy with the electronic lock on my safe. I don't think that there is anything you can do to an e-lock with high voltage that you can't do to mechanical locks with a 12 lb sledge hammer!

I am sure that reputable safe companies can fully answer any more questions too.

Bowser.