Rusty Revolver

RANGER94

Hello Everyone - my buddy inherited a Smith & Wesson Model 10, unfortunately it is in bad shape in terms of rust, probably due to sitting in a holster, and kept in a garage. I got most of the rust off, and oiled it up pretty good with Eezox, but now it needs to be reblued. This will strictly be a nightstand gun, and my buddy does not want to put a lot of money into it. Are there any other options that in terms of protection and long term care, are better (and maybe more economical) than a reblueing job? My buddy could care less about resale value.

Thanks!

Ranger94

Pathfinder45

I, also, think it would look better to just clean it up with find steel wool and perhaps a soft wire wheel in the worst places, wipe it down with your favorite rust preventative, and call it good without reblueing.

T. O'Heir

Check the inside parts first. If it's been living in a garage long enough for the outside to rust, chances are the innards are rusted as well.
Then just cold blue it. Or spray paint it. Krylon, Tremclad or the like will do. It has no resale value now so anything will do.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I agree on cleaning it enough to make sure it works, then just letting it alone.

I wouldn't suggest cerrokote or paint because of the possibility that the paint could get into the mechanism and be nearly impossible to get out. Cold blue would be OK, but pointless for a gun that will not be displayed.

Jim

Mr. Hill

If he insists on a new finish, consider a parkerized finish. Or for a more expensive option, see if S&W will re-blue it.

Bill DeShivs

Most neophytes think any used gun they get needs to be "reblued."
There is no telling how many nice guns have been ruined because of this compulsion.

rep1954

This little jewel got a good cleaning as well and then rubbed down with a cold blue saturated fat just for a little character.

FrankenMauser

Clean it up.
Oil it.
Leave it as-is, and perform regular maintenance (like any other firearm).

There's no point in making it look good if the owner doesn't care.

V-fib

my everyday carry around the homestead gun is a little .22lr Taurus 94 snubby which I noted after a long summer in the holster had developed a few rust spots near the grip and on the cylinder. I simply cleaned the rust with some steel wool and then using a fine artist brush painted the sanded areas with the paint that turns rust into a black finish. now mind you its not the most beautiful gun in my collection but the black matches the rest of the guns finish and the gun itself is a great shooter. I do admit that I now remove the gun everyday from the holster and wipe it down with a silicone cloth to prevent further probs.

v-fib