Russian vs Chinese SKS

BJung

Has anyone shot a Russian and Chinese SKS side-by-side and compared groups? Were they the same or close with the same ammo?

Onward Allusion

This would have been years ago... Back in the late 90's I had both. The Russian shot better but not by much - using Russian ammo... and iron sights on both.

martin08

Either will give you 4-6" groups at 100 yards with good ammo. Bores are chromed, and don't wear out easily.

I have a large collection of SKS carbines, and no variant of equal condition will outperform another by a significant margin.

44 AMP

Staff
For accuracy, the difference between the individual guns tested, and the ammo used, usually means more than Soviet or Chicom manufacture.

I've shot both, but don't remember at the same time, or any real difference between them. Neither one fit me. :D

mr bolo

my Russian 1953 sks could shoot a group the size of a tennis ball at 100 yards, firing off a rifle rest & sand bag with iron sights

the Chinese 1964 sks I have was not as good, maybe 4" - 5" inch group best

using Russian ammo

XRH

The Chinese ones I've had have shot the best. I'd have to say the Russians are the prettiest with Yugos being the most robust.

mr bolo

the YUGO's have the most "robust wooden stocks" the wood just feels a little heavier duty, more solid feel

especially if you compare it with a late mfg Chinese sks with the light colored softer wood, the whole gun feels lighter in weight

the quality of the machining is also noticeably better quality to detail and better steel on the YUGO.

I only wish they would had used chrome lined bore on the Yugo, that would have made them much nicer.