Russian SKS

foxfire

A fellow TFLer suggested that I post this in this
forum, since I hadn't gotten much response in Harley's.

Bought a SKS the other day, which the former owner
claims came from the Tula arsenal in 1951,
(ser. #01021xx). It's in 98% condtion, well taken
care of. Serial #s match, but has no bayonet.
Came with a scope, mount and rings, too.
What's it worth?
Do I put it away, or go pound some nails with it?
BTW I gave $80 for the whole rig, and helped him out
of a bind at the same time. :)

On a related note, is there any truth to the rumor that
there's no more SKS importation into the US after
08/18/01?

Thanks for any help or advice.

have tape, still searching for the truth...

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
FF,
I would expect to pay in the neighborhood of $250-325, depending on the scope.

I sold a Chinese SKS with folding stock and detachable mag for $300 about a year ago. This should be right about what the value of yours is, since it's Russian, and has a scope. I would expect the typical Chinese full-size SKS to go for about $150, maybe $175-200 for the "Paratrooper" 16" size, and a bit more for Russian SKS's.

(disclaimer: I haven't been to any gunshows for a while, prices may have changed or be different in your neck o' the woods,etc, etc)

El Rojo

Just buy a Romainian and hold onto that one.

As cheap as SKS's are. If you have a really nice one that looks good and you don't want to shoot it much, then go buy yourself a Romanian SKS (they are currently like $130) and shoot the crap out of that one. I find it odd that yours didn't come with a bayonet. Sounds like a good deal though.

foxfire

Thanks for the info.

The bayonet should be no problem.
I've priced them between $7-$10 at several mail order
companies and a local army surplus store.
The scope is a cheap little Simmons 4x28 and a B Square mount w/ rings.

El Rojo,
I'll probably get a Romanian, just for a shooter.
Prices are low and will only go up.

have tape, and got lucky for once...

AR-10

What are the markings on the rifle?

If it is from the Tula Armory it should have a star with an arrow in the star on the receiver cover. It should also have the year stamped by the star on the receiver cover.

Of course, if the receiver cover was replaced with a cover/scope mount and you didn't get the original receiver cover, that would be a problem. The receiver cover also has a matching serial # stamped on the back end.

If it is all original I would think it would have a bayonet and lug, although they probably made some models without. If it is missing original parts, shoot it and enjoy. If it is intact and original, shoot it and enjoy.:)

foxfire

AR-10,
Thanks for the info.
It has the star and arrow with date under it on top
of the receiver and the matching serial # on the rear.
Looks like I may have gotten the real deal.
Don't know what happened to the bayonet, but the lug
certainly is there.

Is there an upcoming ban on importation?

have tape, starting to smile all the way to the range...

AR-10

Have not heard anything on an impending ban, but I tend to hear about those things after the fact.

The bayonet might have been removed by someone who thought it looked threatening. As you say, it can be replaced easily. Ironically, it's about the only part on my rifle that I do not see a number stamped on.

The Tula Armory rifles are supposed to be a little better quality than other makes and are thought to be more collectible. They are numerous and inexpensive, so I bought mine to shoot. Some people may frown if you take it and put a thumb-hole stock on it or chop parts off of it. I like mine as is from the factory. I paid about four times your price for mine. You got a good deal.

http://pub7.ezboard.com/bsurvivorssksboards

Here's someplace to get all the info you'd ever want on the SKS.

AR-10

I did put a rubber recoil pad/stock extension on mine. It is made specifically for the SKS and legthens the stock by about two inches. Makes it more comfortable to shoot and easier to get a good cheek weld.

Those Russians must be little guys with short arms.:)

foxfire

Ar-10,
Thanks for the suggestion about the butt stock extension. Just don't want to add too many bells and whistles.
But I may reconsider after I take it to the range.
I'm just thankful that the 7.62x39 ammo is so cheap. :)

have tape, itchin' to burn some powder...