Russian SKS, My First, and I'm lovin it!!

jdscholer

I've been looking at this one at the pawn shop across the street from my work, but he wanted a little much for it; $400 US dollars. I liked the looks of it better than the others I've seen around, however, and told him I'd take it if he dropped fifty bucks. He countered with "You pay the transfer fee ($10), and it's yours."-----So $360 and I was out the door.

I think it's a recon or rebuild, total new blue, all there, and functions perfectly.

Took it out this afternoon and banged off fifteen rounds of Wolf into three inches at fifty yards (range finder). I was kind of amazed, because my rest wasn't all that great, and I didn't really put much effort into it. With the sight in its lowest position, the group was centered about one inch high.

The bore on this little rifle looks like new, and I don't think the thing has even been used since it was rebuilt. Stock is kind of crappy, looking like they slapped lacquer on with a brush, and I may strip it and refinish to my liking; or---not.

Trigger is pretty bad, but I can live with it. This thing is ready to rock and roll just the way it is. Oh yeah, they gave me some stripper clips, and they work pretty slick. Now I just need to find about a thousand rounds for a good price. jd

Attachments

• sks web-1.jpg
    sks web-1.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 156
  • sks web-2.jpg
    sks web-2.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 102
  • sks web-4.jpg
    sks web-4.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 99

Inspector3711

Congrats on that bad boy. A Tula! Nice lookin rifle.

I bought a Yugo about a year ago. Haven't been 100% happy with accuracy so I just yanked the launcher and bayonet off of it. She should shoot better with less steel hanging from the barrel.
Now I need to get around to ordering a brake to replace the launcher...

Read up on the firing pin issue. That pin should rattle around when you shake the bolt. The first thing a guy should do is disassemble the bolt and clean the inside and the pin real good. Read up on slam fires and be cautious about american made ammo (reading up will explain why). You can get a firing pin with a return spring from Murrays to alleviate this for pretty cheap.

Google "Kivaari's Triggers". Mine had bad hammer to sear engagement (not uncommon). If you drop it with this condition it could possibly discharge. Kivaari will fix that and do a top notch trigger job for you. I think I paid $60 plus shipping. He gets it done in one week. Mine went from over 8lbs pull to 3lbs and it's got a clean break now. Cut my group sizes in half.

Both Murray and Kivaari can be found through Survivor's SKS forum. Check it out, it's a great resource for SKS and AK info.

My Yugo shortly after I refinished the stock:

yugosks5.jpg

Last edited:

bigghoss

I remember you could get one for $150-200 now I see them for $400 which is funny cuz I can get an ak47 for that.

if you decide to trick it out do a lot of research before you do. most accessories for sks' are crap, especially ATI. and save the stuff you pull off. as someone who's been down that road I recommend leaving it as is except maybe the trigger job. I had 2 sks' and traded them for another gun( dumb on my part) and then ended up buying another sks someone bubba'd and I'm trying hard to find the stuff to get it back to original.

jdscholer

Thanx for the advice guys. I've got a lot to learn about these things, but basically don't plan of tricking it out much if at all. A nicer trigger would be great though.

Here's some more pics. Wish I knew how to bring the image up when ya open the post.:eek: jd

Attachments

• sks web-3.jpg
    sks web-3.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 70
  • sks target web.jpg
    sks target web.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 52

dla888

A great find! I really like rifles that have a "field worn" look to them. Maybe because they need to work really good to get used lots!:)

DMK

Nice SKS!

The Russians used shellac of the stocks of these. If you do refinish it, you may want to consider using shellac to keep some resemblance of originality.

I also highly recommend not bubba'ing it up with add-ons. Russian SKS will appreciate in value if kept original. Anything you modify will reduce its resale value.

I remember you could get one for $150-200 now I see them for $400 which is funny cuz I can get an ak47 for that.
AKs are still imported and manufactured here. Russian SKS are not.

martin08

That one has seen the refurb process as evidenced by what is called the BBQ paint job. At least it has the birch stock and not the heavier laminated stock.

But you can use a paint stripper on the bolt carrier if you ever want to return it to "in the white" condition and it will not affect the resale value at all.

For $360 you actually did alright for a Russian. Enjoy your SKS!

jdscholer

Can anyone tell me about the NHM Sac. CA. Is it a company that rebuilds or markets these guns, or---?

The other number ending in 787 seems to be on every major part including the stock.NHM.jpg

Also the bolt and handle are blued on this rifle unlike the others I've seen. Is this common from the factory, or a re-do? jd

DMK

Can anyone tell me about the NHM Sac. CA. Is it a company that rebuilds or markets these guns, or---?
It's the importer.

These guns were rebuilt by the Russian arsenals, probably in the 60s.

The other number ending in 787 seems to be on every major part including the stock.
Europeans are big on putting the last few digits of the serial number on all the major parts.

Also the bolt and handle are blued on this rifle unlike the others I've seen. Is this common from the factory, or a re-do? jd
For a Russian, that's one indicator that it has been rebuilt.

Kreyzhorse

I remember you could get one for $150-200

I remember when you could get one for $89 to $99! It amazes me how expensive they've gotten.

Congrats on your SKS. They are great guns and fun to shoot.

Average Joe

The Russian is the granddaddy of all the SKS. I have several, they are the most sought after of the SKS, and the most expensive , and now becoming quite rare.