Russian Mak Purchase

Tom B

I bought one with the adj sights over the weekend. It's a 9x18 cal. I stopped by the range on the way home and shot 100rds. The ammo was some type of surplus with aluminum cases. I hadn't cleaned the gun or lubed it before shooting and also didn't have a screwdriver to adjust the sights. I had 3 failures to eject during the session that I hope was ammo related. I ordered some Russian surplus ammo from ammoman.com. Anyone had experience with this ammo? Anyway its all cleaned/lubed and ready for when the ammo arrives. If it is as good as the 380cal mak I had years ago I will be satisfied. Russian Mak owners please share your opinions with me. Also tell me what kind of ammo yours likes. Has anyone tried the GA Arms JHP 9x18 ammo? Any feed problems? Thanks.

houndawg

I have a Russian commercial Mak like the one you just bought. I haven't tried anything but the CCI/Blount white box 95 gr. TMJ Berdan primed alluminum case, and some 95 gr. Hornady XTP/HP I had loaded for me. The reloads are done with Starline brass, WSP primers, and 3.4 gr. of Bullseye. I've never had a misfire, misfeed, stovepipe, jam, or any other kind of malfunction in over 500 rounds. I keep it imaculately clean, but I'm a little anal about clean guns. I gave it a home trigger job as described on wwww.makarov.com The SA pull is slicker than owl snot. I hate the sights, but on the commercial Russky you don't have many choices. I have Pearce grips installed. All in all, I love the gun. It was my first pistol, so I'll never get rid of it. I wouldn't want to anyway. It shoots everytime I pull the trigger.

[This message has been edited by houndawg (edited June 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by houndawg (edited June 19, 2000).]

JBP

I think that I may have had one misfeed in the 5+ years I've owned my Russian Makarov. I've fired mostly Norinco through it but have also fed it reloads, S&B, and I believe some Winchester white box.

Tecolote

It's a bad idea to fire any pistol without a thorough cleaning and lubing. Try your Mak after you've stripped it down (including removal of safety and firing pin), given a thorough cleaning with a grease remover like Gun Scrubber, and then lubed it with some CLP or whatever you prefer. You'll find that it will function 100%.

Checkout www.makarov.com for some great info.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Apple a Day

Tom B,
I second what Telecote said: give it a good cleaning and then take it back to the range and see how it does. Lots of info on Makarov.com. I own a 9x18 Russian Makarov and it has been beautiful. It has only failed to feed once, the fourth round I ever fired. I thought " Oh, s***, did I just buy a lemon?" I tossed that round. Since then it has never failed me.
A note on the sights- there should have been a tool with the pistol to use for removing the extractor and also adjusting the windage. Enjoy!
Regards

------------------
Those who use arms well cultivate the Way and keep the rules.Thus they can govern in such a way as to prevail over the corrupt- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

ak9

My Russian Mak is a wonderful weapon. Has been a great shooter and extremely reliable with anything I have put through it. Have got the DA smooth as butter with polish and working the trigger and the SA has always been slick. You will not be disappointed with your pistol. I suspect you will notice a big difference after the cleaning next time at the range. The Russian ammo is good stuff, although a bit dirty. The Russian stuff is 109 gr. vs 95 gr. for the western loads.

jetrecbn1

Was interested in a Makarov, but those sights look really small. I know it's for those up close and personal moments, but does anyone make replacement sights? Is that even possible? Those adjustable sighted ones, how much extra do they add to the price?

Tom B

It is my understanding that the adjustable sights come on the Russian non military Maks. Anyway the 2 Maks I have owned over the years were Russian and had the adjustables. I paid $149. last week for mine at Barrows in Butler GA. Be advised however that even the adjustables have small front sights and are hard for me to pick up.