Russian/Bulgie Mak

AndABeer

My fave shoppe has a Russian Mak (adjustable sights, flap holster, spare mag) for 170 and a Bulgie mak (fixed sights, flap holster, spare mag) for 160. I recently had a windfall of 200 so I am considering finally seeing what all the hubbub is about. What are the thoughts on these two Maks?

Destructo6

If the Bulgarian Mak is a surplus military version, I'd go with that. If it's new commercial ("Arsenal" on the slide), then it's a bit of a toss up.

I don't really like the Russian Maks much, they seem to have a lot of sharp edges.

Gusgus

AndABeer,
Since the Russian has adjustable sights, it is probably a commercial import. If the Bulgie is stamped "Arsenal" then it is a commercial import, if not, than it should be a military surplus. This would be my PERSONAL preference.

1st choice - Bulgie Military
2nd choice - Russian Commercial(adjustable sights)
3rd choice - Bulgie Commercial (stamped Arsenal)

IMHO $160 for the Bulgie is about $10 to $20 high for the Military, and $30 to $40 high for an Arsenal.

[Edited by Gusgus on 11-24-2000 at 07:41 AM]

Wade

I bought a Bulgarian (military surplus) about 3 months ago and I'm very pleased with it. Very accurate and has cycled everything I've fed it so far. My only complaint is the original sights - too bloody small! I paid $160 for mine; might have overpaid, but to me it's worth every penny.

joebogey

maks

Wade,
Go to makarov.com and order a pair of the Pierce grips for your Mak. Makes all the difference in the world.

Wade

My Mak is "wearing" a set of Pearce grips as we speak :) And you're right; they make a world of difference.

JBP

I had a Russian Mak with the adjustable sights for about five years, and was very pleased with it, before the sights went on it this year. The only replacement for them is a new slide which costs as much if not more than a new Mak. Since I have a C&R license I opted for an East German Mak with fixed sights that can be replaced. It cost me about the same ($149) as I would have paid for the Bularian Mak after the FFL transfer and background check without the paper work BS and waiting period. Go with the Bulgie.

johnwill

AIM was recently selling the East German MAK for $159 for the selected model. I purchased one of those a couple months back, and it's in excellent condition, and a great shooter besides. My only complaint is the small sights, but I may just have to fix that. :)

joebogey

Arsenal stamp

On my Bulgie, the Arsenal stamp is on the left side of the slide and is stamped large enough that you can't hardly miss it.