Russian .308

Mosin44az

I have for some time thought about getting a .308/7.62 NATO rifle but have been scared at the high price of the ammo. (Reloading is not an option--no room).

Lately I have noticed some much more affordable Russian .308 around, either Wolf, Brown Bear or other brands. Steel case, naturally.

Is this ammo any good? Would it damage a PTR 91 or DSA STG 58?

Thanks

PH/CIB

Look on Aim Surplus on the internet, they have 1990's production German DAG 308 ammo non corrosive, 1990's production British Radway Green 308 ammo non corrosive and South African 308 non corrosive ammo, the DAG and South African come in sealed battle packs, all of it is good ammo at around 45 cents to 50 cents a round, and I believe anyway better than the Russian steel cased ammo.

Mosin44az

Thanks for the info. I figured the HK/PTR could handle it. I have been told they almost don't even need their extractors.

Anyone else? Any harm to an FAL using steel case?

44-40

fired some silver bear in my m1a , worked ok but was way off from mil spec velocity, had to adjust sites to 600 yds to hit 300 yd gong, won't buy anymore, I've had good luck with brown bear and wolf ammo in other calibers, but can't remember the results in 308, I think I have an unopened case of wolf hid someplace ( 50's moment,c.r.s.) I managed to get a 900 rnd case of milsurp just before prices went nuts, still kicking myself for not ordering 10

wnycollector

I have put ~500 rounds of wolf black box .308 through my Ishapore .308. It groups as well as turkish ATI or S&B in my Ishy for $.40/shot.

lmccrock

The hammer spring in my STG58 does not have enough oomph to reliably ignite the Wolf 308. Granted, it has a Falcon Arms Trigger Pull Reduction kit and that has a weaker spring to improve trigger pull (and the trigger is lighter). The ones that fired cycled the gun fine.

I would not put lacquer coated ammo in my rifles, but the polymer (Wolf) and zinc (Silver Bear) do not require as much cleaning.

Lee

silverrado58

I have a Century Arms STG58, had allot of FTE with the Russian brand Barnaul, also with some cheap Chinese stuff, they have a light bronze colored cases. Had real good luck with the South African stuff, and of course all the American that I tried.

stubbicatt

Steel cased ammo in PTR91

I've shot some through my PTR91 and experienced none of the issues some other contributors have reported here. It does not shoot to the same point of aim as does the rifle with the NATO surplus ammo I have fired through it.

Reloading for the rifle is an option. If this is something you will be doing at some point, do try to find a port buffer for your rifle, else your cases will have a big old smiley hickey in the case walls about halfway from the shoulder to the case head.

Enjoy! :)