Russia joins World Trade organization. Possible Russian gun imports?

dascottsman

coolio, but I would suspect that it is around 2-3 years out like the author speculated......but can't wait until it does happen IF it does. :):)

Bigfatts

That would be nice. I'd love to see the Sobol sporting rifles and some of Izhmash rifles. To be able to get a Biathlon Basic at a decent price...

Don P

Lets see, Wolf primers, Tula primers Wolf ammo, Tula ammo plus all the surplus military ammo.
I thing its safe to say that the Russian ammo is already here and lets not forget the Mosin-Nagant rifles and handguns.

chiefr

I too would like to see more. However and attempting to avoid politics, keep in mind political climate could throw a wet blanket on importation of firearms. :eek:

Nickel Plated

Ok yeah the ammo is already available. I kinda forgot that one. But as for guns themselves, Mosins, Nagants, and Makarovs are hardly the only thing sitting in the Russian arsenals. There are many guns, like the aforementioned SVDs, Tokarevs, SKSs and a bunch of other stuff we don't get to play with now.

The thing is, as one commenter on the article pointed out, China is a WTO member also yet gun imports from them are banned. So perhaps Russia being a member won't mean much to us.

kilimanjaro

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the imports of the last few years were from Ukraine, which split the Russian military property with Russia when they broke into separate nations, and Warsaw Pact nations of eastern Europe. So I think imports from Russia would open up new armories and depots for us to enjoy.

I don't see this adminstration allowing imports, though, if they can help it.

Nickel Plated

Kinda makes me wonder. If imports of SVDs and SKSs from Russia were banned, why didn't the Russians send them off to a middleman in someplace like Romania or the Ukraine from which imports are not banned, and then they could send it here.

raftman

Kinda makes me wonder. If imports of SVDs and SKSs from Russia were banned, why didn't the Russians send them off to a middleman in someplace like Romania or the Ukraine from which imports are not banned, and then they could send it here.

My (potentially erroneous) understanding is, there are two things that keep that from happening.

First, imports of firearms are also banned from the most likely "middleman" countries as well, Ukraine included. Ukraine these days has its own firearms industry; has anyone ever seen a Ukrainian gun for sale in the USA?

Second, I believe there is some regulation that specifies that a Russian (or Chinese, for that matter) gun, if sent to a third country (one from which it is ok import guns), it must be documented as having spent some very long period of time there before having been exported to the US, making it impractical from a business perspective. Kinda like that balloon-boy hoax family is legally forbidden from trying to profit from their hoax for x-amount of years, the measure is designed to eliminate the profit potential of using a third country as a middleman.

Nickel Plated

Yeah I figured there was probably some sort of law covering guns that originated in a banned country, regardless of where they were finally imported from.

But there are several nations that could have acted as a middleman. Romania (WASR-10), Poland(Tantal), Czechoslovakia(VZ-58) I think would all work as exporters.

BTW another thing I was wondering is why someplace like Arsenal don't manufacture a US made SVD receiver and finish it with Russian Tigr/SVD part kits. It seems they have some working relationship with Izhmash, so I'm sure they could work out some deal with them for making receivers in the US and importing brand-new parts.

chills1994

in a way it would be nice to get Saiga's especially the Saiga 12 shotguns in a regular AK47 like style with the pistol grip...instead of the current sporterized version.

would 922 rules still apply?