Rugers: small, medium, large and diet

stinkeypete

Well, we have some time...
attachment.php

I like Ruger single action revolvers. I've owned quite a few... a set of .347/9mm (Old) Vaqueros, .44 Vaquero, several .45 Stainless Bisley Blackhawks that shot really well, a .45/.45acp blued Blackhawk, .22 Single Six... this is what I've whittled down to.

"Perfected" Bisley Blackhawk .44 Magnum by H. Bowen. Bowen tuning, trigger work, light throat uniforming, Bowen sights, Bowen base pin... it's stunning but weighs heavy on the old hip now.

Bisley Single Six in 32 H&R Magnum, my latest find! Dies and components on order. I hope to get this six gun humming for subsonic accurate loads that hit harder than .22 LR.

Bearcat in .22 LR. I thought it needed black micarta grips, so I made some for it. It's on my mind to put black on the front sight somehow. Maybe plastidip.

LCRX 3" in .32 Special. I'm still trying to find an accuracy load. The more I toss it in the pocket of my field jacket hiking with the dog in the woods, the more it grows on me. 16 oz, both triggers are excellent. I am of the opinion that anyone that thinks 5 rounds .38 Special is not "enough" can talk to the tin cans, pine cones and spent shotgun shells that got on the wrong end of this thing. It won't win any beauty contests but it looks "right" to me and I can shoot it all day without getting a sore paw!

I'm itching for the range to open back up. Plinking is fun, but working up accuracy loads takes more controlled conditions. Better to keep my pals safe from getting sick as us old guys are rare enough as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0758bx.jpg
    IMG_0758bx.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 636
Last edited:

rodfac

You'll like the .32...mine perk very well with 0.312" dia LSWC's. Missouri Bullet Co. has some that work well in my use, as do both the Hornady 100 & 85 gr XTP's. Rod

stinkeypete

Any other comments on .32 S&W or .32 H&R Magnum for the Single Six would be appreciated. I am going by an article in Handloader so far... as the single six takes "Ruger Only" levels. I don't want to hit hard, I want to hit small, it's just nice to know that pressure isn't an issue. And sometimes a fella does like to let an xtp go out there real fast...

rclark

Nice array of revolvers!

Your right, pressure isn't really an 'issue' as the Ruger has chambered the same cylinder in .327. However, the reason I have my .32s is because it is a small cartridge that can be reloaded. I call my .32 H&R magnums, my reloadable .22s. I only got in to this caliber because of a .22 ammo shortage sometime back. Hey, I have .357s, so "who in there right mind would want/need a .32? ...Same argument can be used for .41s and .429s" But here I am with a few .32s... I digress... My 'idea' was to find loads that had velocities in the range of .22LR... Not to see how fast I could go or how hard hitting. To that end I started out with little 80g pills. Moved on to 100g, and then 115g. It was easier to find loads for the heavier bullets, but I was still on the search for a good 80g bullet load. I think I found one finally using AA#2, but more testing needs to be done before I am completely satisfied. BTW, 80g bullet is still 'double' the .22 weight, but still 'feels' like shooting a .22. Note since .22s are (well were) plentiful and I am 'stocked', I haven't shot/reloaded any .32 lately. Oh yeah, I only load the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge as I feel it is 'just right'. No need for the .327 nor for the older shorter cartridges. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Drm50

In 60s I had every Ruger handgun made, try that now! Lost interest with new model SAs and directions stamped in barrels. Still like my old 3 screws.

rodfac

Pete....Loaded in Starline .32 H&R brass, both Unique at 4.0 gr with 100 gr LSWC's, chrono'd at 1100 fps, as well as Win 231 at 3.5 gr. for ~1000 fps, are moderate loads in my guns and superbly accurate.

If you're casting your own, the RCBS 32-98 LSWC has a broad following with casters, including me...maybe the best all around bullet in my guns. I size them to 0.312+" and lube with 50-50. I'm only interested in very accurate loads from 900 to 110 fps...for true magnum level loads, I defer to my .357's. HtH's Rod

Last edited:

Auto5

5 1/2" Super Blackhawk, 4 5/8" polished stainless New Vaquero and a 3" SP101. In the past I've owned a 7 1/2" SBH and 4 5/8" Super Single Six convertible that I should have never traded away.

SHR970

Never got more then hohum accuracy with S&W Long out of mine.
Got good accuracy with Sierra 90gr. HP's with an over book load of 231.
Got REAL good accuracy with Xtreme 115 gr. RNFP backed with overbook charge of AA#7; and they hit hard too. ;-)