Rugers site

Dakota Law Dog

Was at Rugers new web site tonight. Saw the new polymer framed .45. I have a de-cocker P-90 that I love. I am a Glockster by admission, but my P-90 has never let me down. And accurate! I can't wait to try the plastic one. Anyone else feel the same as I about the P-90? and don't get me wrong. I hated the P-85, etc.
I have tried the P-95, with good results. Anyone?

Will probably test fire the polymer P95 in .45 ACP early next year.

I have the Ruger P85 (it was cheap) and use it for home defense since I feel it is better to have the P85 taken as evidence than any of my nicer guns. I'm also delighted with both its reliability and its accuracy. Hate the magazine release though and think Ruger could do better.

The interesting thing about the Ruger line of pistols is that as the model number progresses higher, the design becomes more refined and sophisticated. Except for a few parts (like springs), there really isn't much difference between the P85 and P89. As the model number increases, the guns not only sheds its bulky profile and heft but the individual parts becomes more multifunctional.

While this trend towards simplicity continued with the polymer framed P95 series, unfortunately there was a regression in the area of bulk and the P95's grip assumed the fat shape of the earlier P85 and P89. That was unfortunate as the P94 has, IMHO, the best grip shape of their series of big bore pistol.

Hopefully, the P95 in .45 ACP has a narrower grip than its 9mm brethen.

Does anybody remember that early P85 which had a portion of the slide cut away? The gun was extensively test fired and examined for metal fatigue. Well, they still shoot it when someone has the urge and it's still going strong.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
I had one of the early P85s. There was a recall on these early on due to the decocker cauing an AD. After I got it back the new safety broke. Sent it back again. They did more work on it. About six months after I got it back again it broke once more. When I sent it back the third time they replaced the whole slide assembly. Since then I've had a factory hybrid; P85 frame with a P89 slide.

Dakota Law Dog

I hope the new P-97s will fit in my P-90 leather. I bought a P-95 for the same reason you did, It was cheap, $250 new, blued, but sold it to a buddy. My P-90 has somewhere between 7 and 8,000 round through it. Do you think I need new springs in it? Am having no malfunctions at all, ever. Like I said before, I am a Glockster, having recently retired my P-90 from service as my duty gun in favor of a G35, but I love these P-90s, the decockers. I have tried the safety ones, but they all had horrendous triggers.

Will the P-97s take the same mag as the P-90?

Robert Foote

Also noted the P-97 news. Tried to bring up the Ruger website at www.ruger-firearms.com as previously and only got what appeared to be a home page--could not get further. Has something changed? (Could also be operator error, but I usually manage to get where I'm going eventually...)