Ruger's new SR9

allenomics

I was excited to get my hands on Ruger's new SR9 (9mm). It has a very good look and feel.

The problem I noticed right away was its rough (uneven) trigger pull.

In some ways the SR9 is a fine pistol. And it deviates from the late Bill Ruger's belief that pistol magazines have no more than a 10 round capacity. Its cartridge capacity is now as good as it competitors.

Ruger needs to do better. It should make improvements now if it hope to make the SR9 its centerfire pistol sales leader.

DPris

Member Emeritus
The trigger is a minor nuisance, the safety needs to be re-designed, and the disconnect is at least removable. :)
Denis

JohnKSa

Administrator
The problem I noticed right away was its rough (uneven) trigger pull.
If you tested the trigger pull with the magazine out you shouldn't have for two reasons.

1. It can damage the firearm. The magazine disconnect operates on the firing pin safety. With the magazine out, dryfiring can peen the firing pin safety and eventually result in damage.

2. You don't get an accurate impression of the trigger. Without the magazine in place, the firing pin is dragged past the firing pin safety with the firing pin safety bearing against it under spring pressure since the magazine's not there to move the firing pin safety out of the way. That makes the trigger feel much rougher and harder to pull than it normally would.

DPris

Member Emeritus
John,
There are actually two striker "blocks", the forward one (automatic passive safety) works off the trigger & the rearward one (mag "disconnect") works off the magazine.
In discussions with Ruger people, I'm told that the gritty trigger is worse with the mag out because the rear block drags against the striker when triggered. But, the sample I have here shows zero detectable difference with or without a magazine inserted.
This may be an anomaly in either my sample or my trigger finger, but the trigger remains gritty either way. :)
You are absolutely correct on the damage aspect. People who plan to dryfire without a mag inserted should remove the rear striker block. Ruger designed it to be removable so buyers could have it either way.
Denis

JohnKSa

Administrator
But, the sample I have here shows zero detectable difference with or without a magazine inserted.
This may be an anomaly in either my sample or my trigger finger, but the trigger remains gritty either way.
It figures...

Now I'm even more disappointed than I already was. :(

dwatts47

Shot one today at my local range (go figure... newest rental gun).

I tried the saftey only once... not impressed (it most definately does not work 'just like a 1911' as touted)

Mag release sticky at best.

+1 on the uneven trigger, even in firing. (seemed to have just a hint of 'trigger slap' like from a bad AK 47 parts gun)

+1 on even more dissapointed than I was.

Fired one whole 17rnd mag... expected accuracy...expected recoil (meaning neither impressed or depressed me)

may be a fine firearm... but A; time will tell B; not for me.

DPris

Member Emeritus
John,
It's not the best trigger, but at any kind of speed (defensive use, IDPA, etc) you won't notice the grit. At the bench, it's quite noticeable during slowfire, but, what the heck.

Dwatts,
If you get a chance, look closer at that mag release. It's quite different. Instead of sliding a horizontal bar back & forth to lock or release the magazine like conventional designs, the ambi buttons cam a vertical piece of steel (at least it ain't plastic!) on a pivot to lock or release. The locking cutout in the mag is on the front, instead of the side. It does take more effort to operate because of the linkage & how it works.

Denis