Ruger Wrangler and Single Six

John D

Could not pass up buying the new Wrangler ($207 out-the-door!). Took it out shooting with my Single Six for comparison.

The Wrangler FEELS smaller, although when I put them on top of each other they look to be the same size.

The loading gate is more difficult to open, maybe because I have stubby fingers or that it's brand new.

While the Single Six is spot-on, the Wrangler consistently shot to the left. I'll shoot it again from a rest before I mess around with the front sight.

My Single Six is very smooth and has a quality feel to it I'm not getting from the Wrangler. This may not be a fair comparison, as I've had my Single Six since the '80's and put lots of rounds through it (and, they cost a lot more). Maybe the Wrangler will get better with time. Still, a fun little gun at a great price!

Bob Wright

I'm sorry but I just can't warm up to a revolver in designer colors. I like blue/case hardened colors, with wood (solid wood, not laminate) or stag grips.

Yeah, I'm old fashioned. But I like blue steel, not aluminum or ZAMAK.

Like these:

100_8302_zpsp8kobzme.jpg

Bob Wright

Pahoo

I would !!!

To answer your question, I would buy one at this price, rather than a Heritage...;)

My Single Six is very smooth and has a quality feel to it I'm not getting from the Wrangler. This may not be a fair comparison, as I've had my Single Six since the '80's and put lots of rounds through it (and, they cost a lot more). Maybe the Wrangler will get better with time. Still, a fun little gun at a great price!

I think you have a fair evaluation but not a fair comparison, at this time. A more "equitable" comparison would be the Heritage and that is exactly why Ruger came out with the Wrangler. I am a Ruger fan and the Single-Six family, has given me great performance.

Be Safe !!!

stinkeypete

That Wrangler costs less than half a Single Six and we know it will smooth up in time.

I’m tempted to get one just to see what it could be with a gentle clean-up and polishing and lube of the internals.

If you’re shooting from a rest, I’m interested in a comparison of your group sizes between the two pistols.

Pahoo

Still better than Heritage

The loading gate is more difficult to open, maybe because I have stubby fingers or that it's brand new.
Yep, Likely to break a nail, on that one. Trigger pull is not very smooth and let-off is fair. Crown is suspect. ….. :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

GarandTd

I haven't handled the Wrangler so I can't pass judgement. I have a Heritage that was nearly half the cost of the Wrangler. No, it is not a "top shelf" firearm, but....my Heritage shoots as accurately as my Ruger 22/45 target model and, coincidentally, has blue steel and solid wood grips. If a Heritage gave you a bad experience, that is unfortunate and the negative feelings are understandable. If you just don't like it because it's cheap...don't knock it til you've tried it. I don't see the Wrangler being any more of an heirloom piece than the Heritage.

Hawg

I would take a Wangler over a Heritage simply because of the goofy safety but the finish on the Wangler just makes them look cheap. If not for the safety on the Heritage that would be my choice.