Ruger was very good to me today.

AzShooter

After a nice long range session with my 22/45 today I decided to clean the gun and the magazines. One magazine kept jamming on me so I took it apart to tune it.

Unfortunately after putting it back together I let the plunger button go and it launch to parts unknown. I called Ruger to see if I could get two replacement plungers and asked how much.

I was told they would be shipped out to me Monday at NO CHARGE. I didn't expect that.

Other than the one magazine I fired 300 rounds of CCI Mini Mag 40 grainers without a hitch. I'm trying to break the gun in and then use it for Steel Challenge matches.

DaleA

I let the plunger button go and it launch to parts unknown.

And yet another potential customer for my 'gunsmithing pod'.

It would be a seamless fiberglass enclosure that you could enter with your tools and firearm, close the pod door, and work to your heart's content knowing that there would be no place for a spring, screw or pin to hide.

Please give this idea all the consideration it deserves.

P.S. Good on Ruger!

Pond James Pond

'gunsmithing pod'

I could have done with that on Wednesday night/Thursday morning when I was stripping my Redhawk...

At one point I decide to remove the arm that rotates the cylinder to clean underneath it and, seeing one of those spring-loaded plunger thingies, I said to myself "Must be careful and be sure not to let that sli....thwang!!" Followed by a distant "plink" at the other end of the room.

It was to both my dogs' amusement/curiosity that I spent the next 17 mins of the early hours looking for it, lying flat on my stomach.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

It would be a seamless fiberglass enclosure that you could enter with your tools and firearm, close the pod door, and work to your heart's content knowing that there would be no place for a spring, screw or pin to hide.

Nice idea in theory,,,
But we all know it won't work in practice.

Everyone knows that the resonance of a spring expanding,,,
Opens up in inter-dimensional rift that swallows parts.

Aarond

railroader

I sometimes work on guns on the bathroom floor. I close the shower curtain, toilet lid and plug the sink. I have been know to launch small parts myself.

jr24

'gunsmithing pod'.

Just had the magazine disconnect dohickey on my BHP launch off into the great beyond last night.

Luckily I was removing it for a reason, and don't forsee needing to put it back in.

rodfac

Great idea...but we all know that springing springs, plungers, filler screws for the scope mounts on your lever gun...all go where the socks go in the washer...I blame my wife for all loses (flats and empty gas tanks as well). It has saved me an unknown amount of grief and self-guilt over the years...just don't tell her you're doing it. Rod

BearBrimstone

That is pretty awesome customer service on Ruger's part. I had a similar encounter with Smith & Wesson recently. I had a magazine spring get bunched up in the magazine and when I called they offered to send me a new one for free without even asking if I had ever taken it apart and may have caused it myself (which I had not).

TailGator

Please give this idea all the consideration it deserves.

I did. I am finished now.:D

This thread is a hoot, including your pod idea. Makes me feel way better about a couple of my episodes.

I have mentioned a Libia I inherited. Prompted by descriptions of the Browning 1906 after which it is patterned, I stripped it all the way down for cleaning and rust removal. It turns out there are some differences, and I spent all my spare time for a month getting that confounded thing back together. Used the bathroom-with-everything-plugged trick after launching some minuscule parts in random directions. Used up all my swear words and made up some new ones along the way, too.

orsogato

Sounds good.

The bolt - charging handle on my 22/45 broke when I it dropped as I was pulling another gun out of my safe.

Hopefully they are as good to me!