Ruger Vs. Smith DA revolver in .45 "LC"

IZZY

Pluspinc has convinced me to make my next gun purchase a good revolver. I am thinking of the Ruger Redhawk in the time tested .45 colt. I think it would be more durable than the Smith, am I correct to assume this? Is there a moderatly priced brand that I am overlooking? (in a DA) I waited too long to get an anaconda in this chambering and now Colt is way overpriced. Would a Smith be more accurate than the Ruger? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Peace
:cool: IZZY

Izzy,

In 45 Colt, the Ruger is going to be your better choice. Being purely a Smith guy, it is hard to say that, but it is true. Although the trigger is going to be much better in the S&W, it is nothing that a good gunsmith can't take care of. The biggest advantage the Ruger has is the ability to handle +P charges. The Smith & Wesson can't do those types of loads. A +P 45 Colt load is almost equal to that of a .41 or .44 Magnum at half the pressure. That is a big plus.

Robert

WESHOOT2

Own Redhawks in 357, 41, 44, 45. The 45LC when loaded correctly will take any game on earth.

Durable, inexpensive, customizing available, 5.5" barrel for sensible carry.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Gunslinger

Like Robert I'm a Smith man mysrelf and it pains me to, but I have to agree. If you only have one the Ruger is the better choice for an all around .45LC.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Grayfox

I've never been a real big fan of the Redhawk. Nothing wrong with it, it just don't fit me right. I'd much rather have the S&W and in fact do. BTW: the big Smith N-frame can indeed handle +P .45 Colt loads although I wouldn't make it a regular thing.
The real question is avalibility. S&Ws in .45 Colt are few and far between. Smith never made many to begin with and those folks who have 'em aren't real inclined to get rid of them. If you know where you can get a 25-5 or 625, I'd jump on it just because they are hard to come by.
Otherwise the Redhawk will serve you well and probably be a lot easier to find. You might also consider the Bisley Blackhawk if you don't mind the long 7 1/2" barrel. That is without doubt the best deal for the .45 Colt.

------------------
Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!

RWK

Recently I, too, decided to buy a revolver, after many first-quality semiautomatic purchases. I received lots of sound advice from TFL members. After much consideration, I thought I'd refined my options to either a four-inch, all-stainless Smith 686 or a four-inch, all-stainless Ruger GP-100. I am convinced that both are excellent revolvers, with a general feeling that the 686 might have marginally better trigger pull/feel while the GP-100 might be slightly more durable.

However, I then discovered the Smith "N" frame revolvers. These -- like Ruggers -- have greater density/mass and are supposedly more durable than the 686 ("K" or "L" Frame, I believe), but still have the "sweet" trigger pull generally associated with S&W. In sum, they provide the best of both the S&W and the Ruger worlds. In addition, they are available in a wide variety of barrel lengths and calibers.

I selected the S&W 627: all stainless, five-inch barrel with full under-lug, "Special Edition", gold-dot sight, in .357 magnum/.38 Special. It is a WONDERFUL firearm -- very accurate (by far the best groups at 50 feet I've ever shot), great grip, beautifully manufactured, stainless steel forgings that are superbly machined, extremely reliable and durable, rock solid, easy to maintain, and guaranteed for life by S&W. In addition, the .357 magnum/.38 Special accommodates a very wide variety of rounds for many purposes.

Therefore, I recommend you consider Smith "N" frame revolvers. They are available in virtually all revolver calibers as well as in .45 ACP (model 625). I believe they may be the best available.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited March 08, 2000).]

There is not enough material between the chambers and the chamber/exterior of the cylinder to use hot 45 LC. The measurement between the chambers is .070 and .067 between the chamber and the exterior of the cylinder. That makes it unsafe to use 45 Colt +P loads in a Smith & Wesson N frame.

There are three 625's in 45 LC available in current limited production. A 625 45LC Classic Hunter II (ported, 6 1/2" barrel) from Lew Horton, 625 45LC (3" barrel) from Lew Horton and a 625 45LC Light Comp Hunter (6" barrel) from RSR. The Lew Horton guns are running at about $550 and the RSR gun is about $750.

Ruger Redhawk in 45LC, $425. A real bargain.

Robert

Grayfox

Sorry Robert, but I must disagree with you on this. I own two S&W .45 Colts and do occasionally use +P loads without any ill effects. Note that I say occasionally as I don't recommend a steady diet of them.

Truth is that the .45 Colt can be loaded at three seperate power levels.

Standard velocity loads which will push a 255gr lead bullet at about 800fps out of a 4" barrel. These loads are safe in all .45 Colt guns.

What I consider +P loads will push a 300gr lead bullet at about 950 to 1000fps.

Then there are the ".45 Magnum" loads where the sky is the limit. These loads should only be used in such guns as Rugers, Contenders and various custom revolvers.

In most loading manuals there is a seperate section for the Ruger Only loads. If you use the STARTING LEVEL LOADS AS YOUR MAXIMUM the S&W will safely shoot them. Again, I don't recommend a steady diet of these, but they can be used.
Let me stress one more time NO NOT GO ABOVE THE STARTING LEVEL LOADS

I'd also like to state one more time that in my opinion that .45 Colt is an excellent cartridge as is at the standard velocity loadings and really doesn't need to be "souped up". Probably 95% of my shooting the .45 Colt is done with standard velocity loads and I'm perfectly happy with that.

WESHOOT2

Actually there are 4 levels:

1) standard

2) +P

3) "Magnum"

4) Bowen / Linebaugh pistols only

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Steve Smith

Bottom line is that if you want to shoot .45 Colt Magnum loads (roughly a 300gr. bullet over 1300 fps up to 1600 fps) then use only a Ruger or Freedom Arms. Magnum performance is very close to .454 Casull performance...but ONLY to be used in the right firarms. As an afterthought, if you really want to shoot HOT .45 Colt loads, just buy a .454 Casull...then you'll have it all.

[This message has been edited by Frontsight! (edited March 09, 2000).]

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Consider the recoil...I have a friend who bought two .45LC Rugers only to find that 12 rounds/range trip is all he can take. Kick in relatively light gun is bad, according to him.

IZZY

Oleg Buddy!

I already have a SAA EAA "bounty Hunter" in .45"LC"... I find the recoil to be quite managable with Winchester Super X -850 fps- In fact, for me it seems quite similar to .45 acp...cept' with enhanced reliability, a lead bullut that deformes nicely upon hitting bone- a 50% chance in the ribcage area- almost making it a hollow point...even those VERY questionable Marshall satistics give it a begrudging 78% kill rate...so even the "magic bullet" crowd has endorsed this puppy! For those unfortunates in New Jersy I would highly reccomend this cartrage.(Thank the good L-rd I live in Virginny)

I dont plan on using "magnum" loads, as this will be for self Defense...however one never knows...

To all those who replied...THANX for the input...I will most likely go with the Ruger, Price, Availability, Durability and Reliability all seem to be incorperated in this piece...the hard part is saving up for my new best friend :)

Peace to all...

IZZY :cool:

DaHaMac

Consider this if you have the money and can find one.

The Ruger .454Casull Super Redhawk, it also chambers and is marked for .45LC They are hard to find here in GA and cost $600+.

Being heavy in weight with a 7 1/2" barrel, the recoil even with heavy .454 loads is tolerable. My friend has a Ruger Vaquero with a 4 5/8" barrel and that thing kicks like a mule with moderate .45LC loads.

Oh yeah, I am going to have a trigger job done on the Ruger so factor in that cost too. But I am not worried about magnum loads as the .454Casull goes as hot as 60,000. The .45LC cartridge would explode well before that, but I have confidence in the gun's strength and durability.

DaHaMac