ruger vs cz

sewerman

looking into purchasing a small bore rim fire rifle.

looks like ruger and cz are in my price range.

so which one has the edge m 77 or 453?:)

zukiphile

The OP refers to the 77/22. It isn't a bad rifle, but it will never be as accurate or have the extraordinary trigger of the CZ.

I might choose the Ruger in stainless and synthetic stock if I anticipated using it in snow and rain very much.

atblis

Hmmm

I am pretty big fan of CZ. I do have a 77/22 VBZ though. It is a very decent rifle. The trigger will suck from the factory. That's curable, plenty of aftermarket triggers. Unfortunately that costs money. It is a 1/2" gun at 50 yards. The right ammo would bring it down to somewhere between 1/4" and 1/2".

Regular CZ triggers I haven't found to be much better. The single set is nice for range use. For hunting I would rather have a decent regular trigger (like on a Tikka).

When I bought my VBZ it was ~$360. I would buy one again for that much. Unfortunately, I think they are closer to $500 now.

The CZ is probably a better value.

P.S.
I have an NS522 I am about to put on the market, if you're interested.
http://hammer.prohosting.com/primec/index.htm
http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/jul96update.html
http://ruffcountry.tripod.com/gruffsgunsite/id7.html

garryc

My CZ 452 out shoots my Thompson Center classic HB all day. It only cost me $145 out the door two years ago

atblis

Yeah I know

They were decent guns for the money. Now they are just overpriced.

CZ would be my first choice.

BUSTER51

While I always prefer to buy an American product when ever I can ,the CZ is far and away better than the Ruger in every way. sad but true.:(

Jseime

If you want an american product check out the new remington bolt-action .22 They tell me it is supposed to be a real shooter. You could also go with a browning T-bolt although i dont think its made in the USA.

I love my Ruger M77MkII .270 but that doesnt tell you much about the 77/22 so I'm not much help in that department.

SavageSniper

My vote goes to the CZ as well. I do have a 10/22, but it is the only Ruger that I have left. Not a very big fan of Ruger right now.

Cz, no barrel issues like remington or ruger, plus excellent old world quality and craftsmanship. In addition, if you can shoot, so can they-bug hole accurate!!!
-VE

stillGHILLIE

CZs. I own 3..sold all my Rugers. You can almost buy two CZ Trainers/Specials for the cost of the 77/22, and they will shoot much better thant the Ruger. Here is a 25yd group with a CZ Super 2500 (same as an Ultralux), 5 shots, cheap ammo, cold day, with iron sights. I have a Brook's ghost ring peep on the rear. My Rugers didn't shoot this well, and consistantly, even scoped.

superfed.jpg

And, a 50yd ten shot group with cheap ammo, Pentax 4x scope on a CZ 513, the least expensive model with the non-adjustable trigger.

513rem.jpg

stillGHILLIE
(formerly GHILLIE)

Scorch

I just bought a 77/22 stainless target grey in November. I am still trying to believe how well it shoots. At 50 yds, it will put 10 rounds into 1/2" using Federal Champions. Using American Eagles, it shoots just a little worse, maybe 5/8". I try to buy American whenever possible, and I handled the CZ and 77/22 before I made the decision. There wasn't enough difference between the two to justify buying an import. Besides, I like the way the Ruger carries better than the CZ. No mag sticking out. Sorry, guys, call me what you will, but a 22 LR that shoots 1/2" at 50 yds is a MOA rifle, and good enough for me.