Ruger Vaquero Sheriff's Model

Deaf Smith

Just picked one up at a pawn shop.

Stainless steel in .44 Special.

Now I need to find a favorite handload for it!

Any ideas?

Deaf

Deaf Smith

OK. I used a 240 gr. hard cast SWC and 7.7 grns of Unique today as well as a box of 'cowboy' loads.

Now the all stainless finish made the sights hard to see! If I carefully made sure the sights were right in the middle of the notch then at 10 yard all rounds would be in the black but slightly high (say 2-3 inch group off hand.) BUT, one small twitch and it would shoot to the left (I'm right handed.) The long hammer fall and the plow handled grips made it difficult.

As a control I used my 4 inch 629-2 magnum with 8.9 grns of Unique (magnum cases) and 240 2/3 jacked hollowpoints made by Speer. Same 10 yards and it's a 1 inch group right where the sights look.

Whomever owned it before did one of those poor-man trigger jobs (took one of the trigger return springs off the hook in the grips.) I put it back on like it was supposed to go.

What is needed? Practice! I'm so used to fast lock times that the slower hammer fall of the SA makes it a bit more difficult. And those tiny sights don't help either.

Happily I have lots of hard cast .44 slugs and 8 lbs of Unique and thousands of large pistol primers.

I'll leave my Lee Turret .44 magnum setup alone and buy another set of Lee dies, powder measure, and turret and make a .44 Special reloading setup.

Thanks,

Deaf

newfrontier45

I've never found locktime to be an issue with single actions but then, I've been shooting them since childhood. IMHO, it's much ado about nothing. I've spent enough time with my passel of S&W's to believe there is no measurable difference.

The bright stainless sights of a fixed sight Ruger are an issue for me though. About 12yrs ago I had stainless Bisley Vaquero built with a dovetail front sight and a bead blasted rear sight channel. It still didn't help. I eventually sent it back to have a pre-war S&W style adjustable rear sight along with a custom front base and post blade. Mucho better. Blued SAA-style sights are a challenge but usable. Bright stainless or nickel, I don't even bother.