Ruger Vaquero Bisley .357

Pahoo

I like them !!!

Anybody have one? What kind of feedback can you give?
Not only do they look great but in my look sharp. I did a trigger job on a buddies .357 and "sweet" it is. You really need to hold and if possible, shoot one. There are some physical advantages to this design. ……. :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

BBarn

Several times I've shot a non-Bisley version of the gun you are looking at. I like it, and very much prefer it over the larger "original" Vaquero that had a standard Blackhawk size frame. The New Vaquero also has the small indexing plunger that interfaces with the cylinder cocking cuts, making for easier cylinder alignment during ejection and loading.

rep1954

Ever since this gun came out it’s been the most elegant sweetest shooting 357 that Ruger has ever made. The 5 1/2” barrel is just perfect on it. Even in the Vaquero model it’s a nice shooting iron. I’m a fan of the 357 in either gun.

Wheel-Gunner

Have several New Vaquero Bisley's (as well as a few Blackhawks and a single-seven Bisley); I doubt you would regret it. The exact gun you speak of is my fav of all the Bisley's I own. It is a boat anchor, but shoots/looks great!

PatientWolf

Thanks for all the feedback. The pistol in question was a “used” model. It supposedly had one box of ammo shot through it, but I see no evidence it had ever been fired. Was offered with a Galco holster.

Based on all the positive feedback I went back and offered $520 against the $620 asking price and it came home with me. I’ve been wanting a single action and don’t think I did too badly on the deal.

smee78

I prefer the original bomb proof older models but I also handload and enjoy different weights and powder charges. Your requirements may be different than mine.

PatientWolf

I prefer the original bomb proof older models but I also handload and enjoy different weights and powder charges. Your requirements may be different than mine.

Yes. Actually they are. I like to be able to safely load 6 rounds.

FAL'er

It's safe to load 6 rounds in either version. They both have the same transfer bar ignition system.

The difference is in the size of the pistol overall. The "New Vaquero" is sized more accurately to the Colt Single action army.

Being smaller it's not able to be loaded as "hot" as the older "Vaquero" which was built on the Blackhawk frame.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

I doubt there is any sensible limit to .357 in the flattop or NV, not like .45 where cylinder wall thickness matters.
Consider original S&W Magnum loads and the Great Western .357 Atomic.

44 AMP

Staff
Being smaller it's not able to be loaded as "hot" as the older "Vaquero" which was built on the Blackhawk frame.

To be precise, the original Vaquero frame is the same size as the New Model Blackhawk frame. It is not identical because the Vaquero has a round top fixed sight frame.

I doubt there is any sensible limit to .357 in the flattop or NV, not like .45 where cylinder wall thickness matters.

Cylinder wall thickness always matters. In .357 both frame size Ruger's have more than plenty. In .45 Colt, it is more significant, but only if you plan to use higher pressure than SAAMI spec.

Despite the fact that "everyone" does it, Ruger has NEVER endorsed or authorized the use of higher that SAAMI spec pressure ammo in ANY of their guns.