Ruger Vaquero Bisley .357

sawdustdad

Just ordered a new Vaquero Bisley in polished stainless. I've been looking at another single action pistol and wanted something to shoot 38 special reduced loads for plinking and fun. Already load .357 and .38sp for my Dan Wesson .357, so I've got the dies, etc. Was torn between the .357 and the .45 Colt, but decided on the .357.

What are your favorite loads for this gun?

ZVP

My 4 5/8' Stainless Vaquero ikes the .38 SP load of 3.3 gr of Hogdons WST fired with aWinchester SP Primer pushing a 158gr either LSWC or Round F/P bullet. It prints very nice groups (Front sight modified "true" by Ruger factory during warranty repair) @ 21 ft.
This load has a mild report and low recoil.
The Oregon Trail bullets have proven out to be very consistant and their finish is without a doubt flawless, with no casting marks!!! They are just a tiny bit harder than other brands which aids leading. Velocity is claimed to be705fps with a pressure of 12,500psi.
the powder is at the bottom end of the scale.
We have tried 3.5 gr loads also with identical results, so to conserve powder we stuck with the 3.3gr fill for volume reloads.
The "NEW" Vaquero is a very strong revolver easilly handlong full factory .357 Magnum loads so you'll not harm it with such nice target loads.
Mine had some internal problwms causing warranty repairs. Essentially, Ruger rebuilt the insids and custom fitted each part producing a factory tuned revolver for me.
Turnaround time was 5 weeks and well worth it.

HTH,
ZVP

sawdustdad

I have about a thousand rounds of .38sp loaded with 125g plated bullets (I think 4.5g unique--will have to check to verify). I'll try these first. I like the idea of reducing the loads to conserve powder...it's so hard to come by now. I do like the Xtreme plated bullets, though. Price is right at about $35/500. Went to look at the Oregon Trail bullets on their website--nice looking bullets. My indoor range does not permit lead bullets (other than .22 rimfire). But the outdoor range/club I belong to certainly does.

Saw my first CAS match a couple weeks ago. Looks like fun. I think that's what inspired me to order the Vaquero.

sawdustdad

Got a chance to fire the new Vaquero yesterday. It's a very nice gun. Loaded up some plinking ammo in .38sp with 3.2g of Nitro 100NF behind a 125 plated bullet with a moderate crimp. groups nicely (2inches) at 25 feet. Probably do better for someone with more skill than me as I am no marksman.

The Bisely model's grip fits my hand much better than the standard vaquero model.

So far, so good.

g.willikers

The old standby 158 gr SWC at around 750 f/s makes a good, accurate plinking load and still feels like a real cartridge.
Lots of powders will do it well.

sawdustdad

My indoor range prohibits (plain/unjacketed/un-plated) lead bullets. (other than .22 rimfire). I do have a bunch of WC ammo for outdoors, just haven't loaded any lately. Will have to give them a try next time I'm at the outdoor range.