Ruger Super RH Bbl Mod.-advice, ideas?

JohnKSa

Administrator
I like my Super RedHawk in .44 Mag, but I think it looks like someone put a rifle barrel on it by mistake...

I've been tossing around the idea of having a custom barrel made for it that would blend the contour of the frame extension into a full underlug barrel.

In otherwords turn it into a giant version of the GP100 in terms of profile.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith that does this kind of work? And, of course, I'm interested to know what it might cost.

I'm willing to pay for custom work, but there's a limit. Probably I'm going to start squeaking when the bill starts climbing past $500 and will dig in my heels abruptly at anything approaching 4 figures. After all I'm starting with a $400 gun.

I'm not particularly worried about resale since I'll always need a .44 mag, and the SRH suits my needs fine.

It would be nice if the gun would hold 2" or better with at least some factory ammo at 50 yards. I'm an open sight guy, so much better than that's probably wasted on me.

Lastly, any ideas on barrel length? It'll be heavy with the full underlug, but I'm leaning toward something close to 7".

Any ideas, recommendations or information is welcome!

Thanks,

John

jmlv

It sounds like a neat idea

and should run under your first estimate($500). Any of the really good smiths could do it. I recommend you start by talking to the major ones first: Clemments, Bowen, Longhbough, and see what they say about costs. I also klnow JD Jones has some barrel conversions he does to the Super Redhawk, he calls it "the beauty & the beast" conversion in which he uses a bull barrel and a octogon barrel which are actually interchangable (abet in a shop not in the field) Hope this helps. I always kinda toyed with the idea of cutting the SRK's barrel off at the frame shroun and remounting the front sight sort of making "Super Sized" snubbie.
No real use for one just an intresting concept(to me anyway)