Ruger Super Redhawk

turbotype87

Hello fellow gun enthusiasts, I just purchashed a used Ruger Super Redhawk chambered in 454 Casull/45 Longcolt with a 2 1/2'' barrel. Does anyone else own one? The reason i ask is, the recoil is alittle rough on the wrists amd i was wondering if i had the gun magnaported would it make any differents as far as recoil is concerned? Any feedback will be appreciated.

2rugers

I would vote against the porting job.

I had a SP-101 ported and the increase in muzzle blast was significant.

Practice, practice, practice.

GeauxTide

A silly question

Why would one want a high performance game round in a barrel less than 4 inches? Porting will bring the muzzle blast to extremely severe.

turbotype87

454casull/45longcolt

This is the ruger alaskan model, I bought this gun on the spur of the moment. The price was right. A silly question someone remarked as, But no question is a silly question if you don't know the answer. So i guess magnaporting is out. thanks to all who have replied to the post.

evenflow80

I guess the absolute best option is to find the best, must cushiony grip out there. Shooting gloves might help too. I can't imagine what a 2" .454 feels like though. Good luck.

crghss

We are here to ask and answer...so there are no silly questions.

Yeah I would think that blast after magnaporting would be significant.

Try .45 Colt Cowboy/trick loads.

valkabit6

I've got a Freedom Arms in .454, and I don't envy you shooting those things out of a 2 1/2 inch barrel. Also those rubber grips on the Super Redhawk are gonna grab your hands and torque your wrists as you've mentioned. I don't think there's much you can do really.

I think I would just pretend it's a 2 1/2 inch .45LC, and load the .454 rounds when I'm hiking in bear country.

markallen

Just shoot the .45 Colts in or the .45 Cowboy loads. These are powder puff loads for the Alaskan. Save the .454 for the woods.
Another alternative, is you have a good excuse to get into hand loading, if you don't already load.
Then you can load whatever recoil level you want.

mathman

Yeah, don't port it...this is why the Ruger 5 1/2 inch Redhawk is the best 44 mag in the world...in my humble opinion of course.

Lost Sheep

Anybody worried about bears?

Personally, I use a 7.5" .454 Super Redhawk.

Y'all might be interested in reading this story. It testifies to the effectiveness of the short-barrelled SRH. But it did take three shots to get a good hit. (One clean miss, one in the paw and one CNS, by my reckoning)

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stories/080709/out_478669517.shtml

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildlife/bears/story/897940.html

and for a direct quote from the surviving party-with pictures

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,179994.0.html

Lost Sheep

This was an aging bear, driven to desperation by hunger, by the way.

22-rimfire

I would not port it. I had wanted the Alaskan in 480 Ruger for some time. But honestly, I doubt I would shoot it much. Just a novelty.

I also would suggest a shooting glove(s). It is one of those handguns that is little shot in 454 almost by design and you have to be a recoil junkie to like shooting the beastie.

Formula233

Please just leave it stock no magnaporting just shoot it from time to time and enjoy it . I really get a kick out of my Smith/Wesson 629 3" combat 44magnum it's a hand full but yours Man!. It's just a load of fun shooting these big caliber short barrel guns not everyone gets it .. Art

rantingredneck

I had one of the 7.5" versions. I found that I liked the stock grip (old style Lett/GP100 grip) better than the Hogue I bought for it. Maybe find a GP100 grip and give it a go? You may find that it fits your hand better. Yes, it will fit the SRH as the grip frame studs are the same on the GP/SRH.