Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull

Zzeke

I recently purchased this Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull from the big auction site. It was manufactured in 2000, and is unfired! It's in pristine condition. Years ago I had the same gun but with a 9-1/2" barrel instead of the 7-1/2" barrel that this gun has. I'm guessing this one will be a bit more "muzzle flippy" than the 9-1/2". I know from shooting the 9-1/2", that I have to have the Hogue Tamer Monogrip if my wrist is to survive. I have already installed one with the Ruger logo on it, onto this new gun. I can't wait to fire it! Here's a couple photos:
IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3852.jpg

CDR_Glock

You’ll love it. I have an identical one.

I don’t notice the flip of this barrel length.

Then again I have an alaskan, Ruger Toklat 6 Shot 454 Casull 5” and the 7.5” Ruger Super Redhawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

big al hunter

I have the same model. I purchased mine new the first year that it was offered in 454. Love that gun. I put a Burris scope with posi-lock on it. Perfect for hunting, and it takes some of the recoil. Have fun! That one is in marvelous condition.

Zzeke

I'm not sure if I will put a scope on it or not. Years ago I bought a new Simmons handgun scope for my SRH 454 with the 9-1/2" barrel. After about three shots the scope sounded like a baby rattle. Something came loose inside it. I won't make that mistake again. If I do decide to put a scope on it, it will likely be a Leupold. I have plenty of time to think about it, because after buying this SRH and a Heckler & Koch HK45 all in the last couple weeks, my gun budget is destroyed!

Last edited:

Zzeke

What is the purpose of the little yellow plastic disc that comes installed behind the cylinder on a new Super Redhawk?

CDR_Glock

What is the purpose of the little yellow plastic disc that comes installed behind the cylinder on a new Super Redhawk?

Protects the parts and keeps the cylinder from rattle in transport.

Zzeke

I was thinking it might be for dry firing. Can Super Redhawks be dry fired without damaging the gun?

Dufus

Can Super Redhawks be dry fired without damaging the gun?

My thoughts are that they probably can, but follow the instructions that came with the gun. If you don't have the instructions, you can download it from Ruger website.

This is just me: I don't dry fire anything.

rclark

This is just me: I don't dry fire anything.
I was brought up the same way. I will test gun for function after re-assembly, or cleaning but I don't 'purposely' sit/stand and dry fire a revolver just for kicks.... That said, I think the manual covers dry-firing. Your choice.

I always the thought the yellow disk was there to show the gun isn't loaded on a new revolver.

As for the .454 .... 'You' Enjoy it for me :) . I get enough kick out of my .44s and .45s to suit me...

JohnKSa

Administrator
I don't know, exactly, but the manual states specifically that the disk should NOT be left in place while dryfiring.
Can Super Redhawks be dry fired without damaging the gun?
Yes and no.

Dryfiring operates the action and causes wear, just like operating the action while shooting the gun. Enough of it will cause parts to wear out and break, just like operating the action with live cartridges will. Admittedly, wear due to recoil is eliminated during dryfire, but there is other wear & tear that takes place during dryfire and normal live fire. I would just say no, but I worry that someone would see that and dryfire their gun hundreds of times a day every day and then complain after years of maintaining that kind of practice schedule that the transfer bar broke and Ruger is lying when they day it's safe to dryfire the gun.

However, dryfiring a Ruger SRH will not cause anything other than normal wear and tear to the internals. It's not like some guns which can be broken or permanently damaged by dryfiring just a few times.

From the online version of the Ruger Super Redhawk Manual.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/superRedhawk.pdf

DRY-FIRING
“Dry Firing” is practicing the trigger pull of the empty revolver for practice and familiarity. The Super Redhawk® revolver can be dry-fired without damage to the firing pin or internal components.

Be sure that the revolver is unloaded before handling. Be sure of your bulletstop, even when dry-firing for practice. Do not dry-fire the revolver with the plastic ‘safety disc’ on the cylinder.

CDR_Glock

The only guns I don’t dry fire are Rimfire, with the exception of my Ruger Mark IV Target.

Considering the shear force of a 454 Casull I find it doubtful that dryfiring will cause damage.

There is always a pre-existing defect that could potentially be uncovered, but these are built like tanks. I’ve dry fired every one of my centerfire revolvers regularly without issues over the 30 years I’ve been shooting (damn I’m old), with the exception of my Colt Pythons (1968, 1974 and 198x).