ruger super redhawk/410 shotshell

wyobohunter

I'm considering selling my 500 S&W (4" bbl) and buying a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in 454 Cassul because it is smaller/lighter to pack. Will this gun shoot 410 shotshell? If it will that'd be handy as hell. I could add some fresh meat to the backpacking diet and I would throw it in the boat for a survival gun.

I'm doubtful that the cylinder is long enough but I can always hope. Does anybody make shorter .410 shells?

magyars4

I am unaware of 410 shells smaller than 2.5 inches...tho there are 45 Colt shot shells out there....I have been to Ninilchek (sp?) and it is a great place!
Your a lucky Man.....

knight0334

You could get some all brass 410 hulls and cut them down to 45Colt or 454 lengths and load them using a glued cover wad. That'd give you a a bit more shot than the 45Colt shotshells. You'd have to play with loads, wadding, and such though for such a short 410 shell.

Using the stronger 454 brass to do the same wont allow for the expansion of the brass to seal the chambers properly because of the low operating pressures of shot loads. The cut down 410 brass hulls will.