Ruger Super Blackhawk

marano

Some may remember a previous thread by me where I was wondering about grips for a Super Blackhawk. I had purchased one and it had Pacmeyer grips on it when I bought it, I really wanted to put original wood factory grips on it and was worried because I had heard stories of the squared off dragoon style trigger guard hurting peoples knuckles Well I bought a set of original grips and had to do a little dremel work to get them to fit but they did work. Well I shot it today with some factory loaded cartridges and had no problems at all. It was actually quite pleasant to shoot, I will admit that I have really big strong manly hands, not little weak Trump like hands but I really had no trouble at all with the factory grips. If anyone has the same question I had I would say if you have fairly big and strong hands you will have no problem with the factory grips.

marano

Blackhawk

Mine has a 7 !/2 barrel. It was produced in 1984, The bluing is beautiful. I bought it used but I doubt it had had 100 rounds through it when I bought it, As much as I like it I bet I never fire more than 500 rounds thru it due to costs. It is an absolutely beautiful gun that I am sure will serve several dozen owners who will only be able to use it as much as I do. LOL

Dufus

I have one bought new in 1975 and another bought new in 1976. Both have original factory grips. Never had any problem with anyone regardless of hand size that wanted to shoot it. Seems like once they start shootin' they don't wanna stop.

As much as I like it I bet I never fire more than 500 rounds thru it due to costs.

Hope you didn't pay a lot for it. :eek:

Pathfinder45

Must we defile ourselves in the sordid arena of politics on this forum? Since there are no truly good choices in that arena, we ought not divide over it. instead, let's focus on the relative merits of things appropriate to the topics of the forum, where our viewpoints actually have an effect on something.

Ummm.... grips for the Super Blackhawk....does anyone make them out of Buffalo horn?

Cheapshooter

My Super Blackhawk is vintage 1972. While I have had a couple sore knuckle experiences with the factory grips, it always happened when I got a little sloppy with my shooting. Several years ago I changed to the Pachmayr (intelligent voters know how to spell:D) grips, but didn't really like the looks. So I recently found a set of the originals to put back on.

Bob Wright

The Super Blackhawk is about my favorite revolver. Here are some of mine, along with a couple of .44 Specials. The brass mounted Super and the 5" Super each have in excess of 17,000 rounds fired through them, by actual count. Another is creeping up on 13,000 rounds.

Bob Wright

marano

Nice

That is a nice bunch of Revolvers. I do not reload so I do not think mine will ever see that many rounds, but it is sure fun to shoot.

tallball

If you tuck your pinky finger under the grip, the squared-off edge of the trigger guard will never touch your fingers. I have to shoot my revolvers that way regardless, because my hands are so large. I was shooting mine just yesterday. It's from 1970, IIRC. It's probably my favorite handgun of the very many I own. They are fantastic revolvers! :)

44 AMP

Staff
Gentlemen, Ladies,

This is the REVOLVER forum. Political comments, of ANY kind are not suitable for this forum. There are lots of places on the web to state those opinions. This ISN'T one of them.

As to the Square back (Dragoon) style trigger guard of the Super Blackhawk, it always scared me a bit.

Before I got a Super B, I spent some time shooting "Ruger ONLY" .45 Colt loads from a 7.5" Blackhawk. The trigger guard DID rap my fingers, when using the stock grips, and velocities above 1200fps. Pachmayr grips, problem solved. I was pretty sure the Super Blackhawk would be the same way, and it was. With "Pachs" on it, I don't get bit.

marano

op

As the Original Poster I was not trying to make a political statement. Just saying if you have large strong manly hands you probably will not have to change the grips on a Super Blackhawk. Live Free or Die!!!

John D

Have never been comfortable with my Super Blackhawk because of the grips. The factory wood grips are too small and I don't like tucking my little finger under with this powerful revolver. Put on Pachmyar (sp?) grips and find them to be too large. As a result, I seldom shoot this pistol. Maybe it's just me....my son likes it fine.