Ruger Super Blackhawk scope?

Cornhusker77

I'm going to be looking at a Super Blackhawk tomorrow, and I was wondering how tough it is to mount a scope to them?
Kinda thinking about getting into some big bore pistol hunting in the future, but mostly just want it because I want it.
Is this gun a good candidate?

ohen cepel

I think it's a great platform. Plenty of power for most needs.

Little work to put a scope on it but not anymore than most revolvers.

kle

You can use the Weaver #301 base to mount a scope on your SBH; I use one to mount a red-dot on my BH:

4217302393_b5a08bd165.jpg

It replaces the rear sight and clamps around the barrel and gives a pretty solid base. I haven't fired any Magnums through my .357 BH with the scope mount, but I imagine the mount would be OK with it.

Jim March

If you can afford it, get a Ruger "Hunter" variant, esp. the Bisley Hunter. But all "Hunter" SuperBlackhawks come with factory scope rings and have integrated mounts.

I think they come with 1" rings but you can get 30mm rings from Ruger.

The ring mounting system Ruger uses is highly regarded. It's the same basic mount type as the SuperRedhawk, except in the Hunters both rings are the same height while the SRH is "stepped". Other than that, same system.

claws

Jack Weigand makes a nice scope mount for the SBH. He sells scope rings as well. The mount requires that the rear sight be removed and the the top strap be drilled and tapped. I'm taking my SBH to my gunsmith today to have my Weigand mount installed. I'll be using a Weaver 2X scope on mine. It's fairly inexpensive and has received good reviews. I don't have any personal experience with it yet.

Good luck with your Ruger.

Kim

Cornhusker77

Well, I picked up the Super Blackhawk from a guy at work, thanks for the info. :)
Top to bottom, the new SBH, the Little Woman's Blackhawk and my old Single six.
IMG_9785.jpg

madcratebuilder

The Ruger SBH is a great revolver to scope. I have a Leupold mount, rings, and E2 scope on mine. This has been a trouble free setup for many years now.
PICT0003Medium-2.jpg

NoSecondBest

Take a look in the classifieds. I have a Burris 3X for sale really cheap. It started on a Super Blackhawk which I got rid of and I put it on a TC 30-30 which I also got rid of. It's in excellent condition and would make a great scope for your Blackhawk. (I killed a nice buck with my Blackhawk and this scope).

tbln930

Mounting Scope on 0804 Ruger Super Blackhawk

I Googled this thread and thought I would respond since I am in the process of putting a Leupold mount (53554) on the Ruger SBH. I thought I would add some new and current information. My Ruger is brand new (Hunter models weren't available) and the Leupold mount will not work out of the package on the current SBHs coming out. I had Ruger and Leupold on a three way call and Ruger made a very slight modification to the rear sight threaded hole by raising it as a little plateau by about 10 thousands on an inch. This prevents the leupold mount (dual dovetail) from seating properly. I have a buddy machining the Leupold mount slightly to compensate with a milling machine but this has become more than just drill and tap operation for those planning such an operation. As I said I had trouble locating a stainless 7.5" stainless Hunter SBH and Ruger is so backlogged that it would have been many months. Besides this model is a little lighter. Now I hear the 0804s are almost unavailable too.

I am mounting a Nikon (silver) Encore 2-8X handgun scope on the Ruger....

tbln930

Finished Scope and Scope Mount

Just Finished it this morning. Not sure how to insert an image - new to forum

Ruger SBH Web2.jpg

Last edited: