Ruger Super Blackhawk grip frame question

oldcars

I am looking at a New Model SUPER Blackhawk a friend has for sale and I was wondering if it's possable to install a regular New Model Blackhawk grip frame? I like the smaller grip and round trigger gaurd.

Jim March

Yes, you can swap stuff around.

If you're buying new, an interesting option is the 50th Anniversary 44Mag Blackhawk Flattop, which has a 6.5" barrel and the even smaller XR3 grip frame, same as the New Vaqueros and very similar to a Colt SAA. These are still available for less than $400 from http://CDNNInvestments.com

Note: that gun is NOT marked "Super"!

Supers with barrels of 5.5" and under have the XR3-RED grip frame, a wee bit bigger than the XR3. Supers over 5.5" have a very oversize plowhandle grip frame, usually with the "squareback" thing unless it's a "Hunter" variant.

oldcars

Ok, I was just wondering. A friend of mine has a 7.5" new model Super Blackhawk and I am thinking about using it as a base for a custom project. I want to cut the barrel to 5", and ad a standard Blackhawk grip frame, so if it's as easy as a bolt-on, I think I'll buy it. I can't stand the big grip frame and squared off trigger gaurd.

Jim March

It's mostly a bolt-on - there's generally some final low-grade filing needed and then a re-blue.

Honestly, it's better to start with a smaller one if this is where you want to end up...unless the long-barrel donor gun is a particularly clean and tight shooter.