Ruger SS price question.

Ed Dixon

I'm on the verge of picking up a .22 target pistol and will probably go with an MKII, probably the slabside. Leafing through the Ruger catalog for the hundredth time I noticed that overall there was little and sometimes no difference in prices between blued and stainless versions of the same gun, but when it comes to the MKII's there is close to a hundred buck hike with the stainless models. Any explanation for this? (I'm not including the slabside in this since I know it has some other added features.)

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Ruger catalog's offer a suggested retail price only. Often
times one can find Ruger handguns for less at their local
dealer.:) An example; back in October of 1998 I purchased
a stainless steel Ruger MK-II with the 5.5" bull barrel.
Ruger's suggested retail was $412.50, I believe; at any
rate I purchased this NIB firearm for $289.88 + tax. And,
no the dealer didn't have a sale going on!:cool: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Ed Dixon

Dan, I know no one will really pay the SRP. I bought a Vaquero about a year ago and paid close to $150 less. So while the real-world prices are certainly going to be less, I'm still baffled by the large nominal differences. I quess that hundred dollar bump in the catalog might translate into a $60-$70 hike in the store. Just curious as to why with the MKII's but not with others. Thanks, Ed.

makarov

The others might have alloy frames or polymer frames where the MKII's and the Single-Actions are going to have stainless frames too. Just a thought. Also the slab-side does not come in blue. The Govt. Model that is blue is not the "competition" model. Does not have tapped barrel and doesn't come with rings.

I have the stainless govt. comp. model slabsides. Great gun, though I found I don't like shooting it scoped. If you don't plan on using a scope and take care of your guns, you may consider the blued models. I actually prefer blue over stainless for most applications. Now that I have a Browning Medalist, the Ruger usually sits in the case. Still a great gun, but the stock trigger is not as good as the Browning. May eventually get around to buying parts to upgrade the trigger...