Ruger SR9

gmarr

I shot one a while ago and liked it so much that I just got one. The ergonomics are excellent. Slim, short, and the grip feels really good. Even better, the wife likes it. So it's now the 'night stand' gun.

The question is this for those who have one; how well has it performed? I'm loading GDHP's and the accuracy is very good. So far no issues with reliability. Thanks for any info.

joe-lumber

I went to fire mine today and shot 150 rounds. Well I like mine but I had one malfunction where one spent shell failed to eject. This happens about once every 100 shots. It upsets me that this happens but I don't think I will sell it.
J

Fishbed77

My brother has an SR9 that he's fired thousands of rounds through. To my knowledge, he's never had a malfunction.

ClydeFrog

Rare Ruger SR9....

I saw a super cool limited ed Ruger SR9 with a black treated upper(Ionbond/matte black), black 17 round 9mm magazines(02) and a desert tan color polymer frame.
The rare SR9 full size would be worth the $$$.

CF

gmarr, if you think you like it now, wait until you get around 300 rounds fired through it because the trigger only gets better. IMO, the SR9 is fairly heavily sprung and in cases like a spent shell failing to eject, it's very likely caused by low performance ammo. Mine has seen mostly handloads at the same performance level as the 124 gr. +P Gold Dot, but I have fired and chronographed the factory version. After getting my SR9, I sold what I believed to be the best poly-pistol available, the XDm, and bought the SR45. As far as I'm concerned, Ruger is the new leader in quality, accuracy and value and it's trigger after break-in is the best I've experienced with any poly-pistol without modifications and better than some that have them! ;)

bt380

I have no idea how many rounds I fired thru mine. I quit counting a long time ago. Never had a problem. I did stick on a Hogue HandAll grip that gave a whole new smoooooth feel. If you are going to let it sit in the night stand for any length of time, you may end up with an oil slick stain. The gun oil will eventually let gravity do it's thing. I use CLP to clean and blow off w/ an air compressor (dust mask to protect lungs). Then wipe off w/ those blue car shop towels that resemble paper towels. Don't need to follow up w/ gun oil after that. Then I use Hoppes #9 for inside of barrel and then a super thin film of gun oil for inside barrel only. Then super thin wipe of Shooters Choice gun grease for the metal/metal parts and barrel. The CLP is super easy and makes cleaning fast. Lots of techniques to use, others may have ideas to prevent oil in clothing or on furniture. You made a great choice. Add some shooters electronic amplified headphones under the bed to enhance hearing and both of you practice night shooting (close eyes an shoot at sound, shoot w/ blinking to prevent night blindness, etc, etc). Best night technique is an alarm and a big sign about the alarm so druggies will go elsewhere.

Venom1956

I honestly don't enjoy mine that much.

I have one of the early ones pre 'D' mag release new Triggers crummy and i might have some barrel peening. I probably could send it to ruger but idk how much it would cost.

That said the newer ones are far better but even mine hasn't missed a beat never a misfire or failure.

LE-28

I'm easily over 5k with mine and it just keeps getting better. My buddy and I were shooting it yesterday, he said the trigger reminded him of his Kimber. Now, my SR9trigger is quite "broke in" a 5k+.
I don't shoot factory loads through mine anymore, so I don't have the problem with weak ammo that is on the market today (my opinion).

I have only had two shells out of 5000+ fail to eject and both of them were factory practice loads. That was when the gun was new. I haven't had any issue of any kind since and accuracy is superb. I remain to this day very impressed with it.

Dragline45

I had the SR9C and had no major complaints about it. Very accurate, great trigger, ergos were excellent, and ate everything I fed it without a hitch. I took out the loaded chamber indicator in mine and filed down the nub where the case pushes up on so it stuck up about half as far, I also removed the magazine disconnect. You can actually damage the striker in the SR series pistols by dry firing without a magazine, that is unless you remove the magazine disconnect which takes all but a minute or two. I had slight peening issues early on but after a couple hundred rounds of break in it stopped and I smoothed it all out with some wet-dry. I actually took the entire barrel hood to a high polish since I thought it looked unfinished from the factory. As you can see once it was cleaned up peening was not an issue.

mtpjeu.jpg

915A

Just shy of the 1k mark on my SR9c and it has been flawless and just gets better everytime we go shoot. I like the platform so much the .40 is on my short list to get next.

Gbnk82

Its a ruger it will most likely keep firinv for as long as you have it..i have the version that came before the sr9 the p95 and the thing is a tank..i have about 1500 rounds thru it and it has been flawless..i expect the gun to outlast me and be passed down to my daughter when im gone..ruger makes real quality firearms you made a great choice.

tahunua001

I've put about 1500 through my SR9C. I know not a whole lot considering I've had it for a year and a half but it's my CCW gun so it spends most of it's time strapped on a sweaty fat man and has not gotten a speck of rust. I rarely clean it and have no Failures to date besides a little light strike issue that I resolved after the first 25 rounds through it. I took out the mag disconnect which I had no love for anyway and all those light strikes went away. just to see if it was capable of making the grade for CCW I didn't clean it for the first 500 rounds, didn't even take the packing grease out of it. it was a black, sludgy mess inside when I was done but it refused to fail. I've only cleaned it about twice since then and probably should clean it again but so far it just keeps chuggin' along.

I don't shoot it quite as accurately as my XDM45c but that is more than likely a lack of practice, the XDM gets shot a lot more than the SR9. even so, I still shoot my SR9C better than some full sizes so it's far from inaccurate.

Kennydale

I opted for the SR40C. I think the SR platform is superb, and the compact models are a dream to conceal and carry. My next gun might very well be an SR9C. (and if they ever release the SR45C, put me on a waiting list for that one too)

Attachments

• DSCN4634c.jpg
    DSCN4634c.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 52

bedbugbilly

I've had one for three years or so - never had a problem or a hiccup with it at all. I love the way it feels and it's much more accurate than I am. :D I debated at the time that I purchased it betwen the SR9 and the SR9c - the SR9 just felt better in my hands. I alternate between it and a Ruger LCR 357 for CCW. I carry on the belt and I find the SR9 to be an easy carry. Like has already been mentioned . . . the more you shoot it,the more you'll love it.

gmarr

Thanks for the replys, range again this weekend with the wife. May have to get myself the SR45 as she really took to the SR9. Oh well,

Put 200 rds thru it and it ran great. Accurate and reliable, what more can you ask for.

gmarr, likewise, the SR45 is outstanding. Getting the SR9 from Ruger as a replacement sale for the used P-89 I sent them for repair is why I bought it, which I'm not sure I would have done otherwise. After getting it I knew I would have to have the SR45 and sold my XDm .45 to do it.

Depending on your hand size and how the SR45 is configured when you look at one, I would recommend you deal with a shop that will allow you to change the reversible back-strap accordingly to fit your hand. Mine came with the curved side exposed. I've played with it both curved and flat and like the feel of the curved/arched side out for the larger grip configuration that works better for my large hand size and there is a discernible difference with the feel of the grip depending on which way the back-strap is installed. ;)

Dragger34

I bought a Ruger SR9c over a year ago, it's my 1st Ruger. Love it so much I sold my Glock. After well over a thousand rounds and only a single FTE, it's my everyday conceal carry.